Firefox PHP

New On Index Page Hack

Posted by Vulpes 
New On Index Page Hack
May 30, 2001 04:23PM
Well, looks like alot of ppl want it, so here it is!
First file is hack which makes new's by date of last post, second file makes them by # of posts.
Why is it a beta hack?

Because i'm not sure it works correctly, so post any observations below, good or odd. If it's works good, we'll move it to finished Hacks section.

Enjoy :D
Attachments:
open | download - New_On_Index.txt (1.8 KB)
open | download - New_On_Index_SE.txt (2.2 KB)
Hmm... strange. I try to post a new posting, this works fine, it gets market new and is unread. When I then go to the index page, there is no such new symbol.

I got the symbol to work once, the first time I was on the index page after installing the hack, and when I entered the two (out of three) places it showed up, there was no unread posts under that choice, but it was under the third, who didn't display a new-image on the index. It seemed like it was complete oposite of what it should have been.

Now, when I try to post and leave it unread, the symbol doesn't show up anymore...

Just my ramblings...
Re: New On Index Page Hack
June 05, 2001 04:22PM
well you set the cookie for the index page in list.php, so if you answered in some topic it goes back to list.php. Well after you go back to the index you won't see new next to the forum that you just replied in.
June 14, 2001 12:28AM
I've got a few forums listed in my index page. I've marked the messages in all the forums as read, and everything is peachy. However, my problem arises when i was re-reading the messages in one of the forums. When I returned back to the index, some of the forums indicated that there are new postings. When I clicked to view the new postings, all the messages are marked as new...

hmmm...:-@
July 19, 2001 04:44AM
I dunno if this is good enough a fix for the new to appear at folder level, but here's an addition to the hack above. copy the code to after where it says
if($rec["folder"]) {
July 19, 2001 04:45AM
well, well... the attachment..
Attachments:
open | download - new_at_folder_lvl.txt (958 bytes)
Jules
July 19, 2001 07:24PM
ya Diana i had the same problem. I disabled it for the meantime, and i was wondering if your addition to the above hack is working ok before i implement it.

Thanks,

Jules
July 19, 2001 11:58PM
Apart from the same cookie monster problem, the addition works fine.
Do you know if there is a limit for a cookie file size? I was monitoring the file and when the file gets appended, the top few cookies are lost.
July 26, 2001 05:51AM
cookie problem might be fixed in phorum 3.3 ( i need to talk to biran so we would move to array type cookies ) and then it will be even easier.
e
August 27, 2002 03:08PM
so i shouldnt use this mod yet? a problem with cookies exists?

Id love to have this "new" post notifier thing on my main forum list
June 03, 2003 07:00AM
i have problem with downloading this files (New_On_Index.txt, New_On_Index_SE.txt)

<!--<br />
<b>Warning</b>: fopen(/www/mods.phorum/files/beta/9.txt): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/www/phorum/mods/download.php</b> on line <b>77</b><br />
--><!--<br />
<b>Warning</b>: fpassthru(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in <b>/www/phorum/mods/download.php</b> on line <b>83</b><br />
-->

is anyone can help me ???

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.