Firefox PHP

Bad Words file (English) for Censor List

Posted by KeithX 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
badwords.txt.zip 828 bytes open | download KeithX 02/04/2008 Read message
Bad Words file (English) for Censor List
February 04, 2008 04:12PM
This isn't exactly a template but it sure isn't a mod, so here you go. This bad word list has been built up over several years on a fairly busy chat site. Blocking these words *should* keep you from being blacklisted by the NetNanny types, and will definitely help to prevent flame wars. I don't have a MySQL fix for getting them directly into the 5.2 database, but cutting and pasting from this list won't take very long.

It's not a TV show, it's an obession: [chat.bbchatter.com]
Attachments:
open | download - badwords.txt.zip (828 bytes)
Re: Bad Words file (English) for Censor List
February 04, 2008 06:51PM
A couple comments on censoring...

- The censor list won't find words within words, hence you have a dozen variations of popular words
(the simple text replacement mod doesn't have this problem)

- The simple text replacement mod is case sensitive, so using it as your censor means needing upper and lowercase versions of words, or hacking it to be case insensitive, like the censor list.

- The censor list doesn't work on message subjects. (Neither, for that matter, does the simple text replacement mod)
I noticed a post from a few years back that claimed this was fixed, but in my current 5.2.6a installation it still isn't.

- Formatting with spaces like "V IAGRA" foils the censor (as well as most spam detection, #!@#)

Steve H, currently on: (version 5.2.23)
contributions:
Birthdays mod, Top Users mod, Icon legend.tpl, (plus a handful of bugfixes and old 5.0 creations)
February 05, 2008 10:53PM
Change 3503 fixes the censor list issue on subject lines, I just tested it. Simple text replacement sounds better in some ways, but if it doesn't work on subject lines then it is of no help to me. The Net Nanny people look for the real words, not the spaced out versions, at least that has been my experience with them. If you keep the basic bad words off your board then people can read it at school and work. If you don't censor the words then you get blocked, and I have had a domain blocked for that very reason.

February 06, 2008 02:13AM
well, we got a bug tracking system [trac.phorum.org] for telling us about bugs instead of posting rude messages or posting them in some other message where they might get lost.

Thomas Seifert
February 06, 2008 01:58PM
Glad to see that problem is fixed. Thanks Maurice!

Looking at the censor code, I see that they also automagically censor the alternate endings: ing, ed, s, er, es

Therefore you can shorten your badword list a bit, removing those variations.

Steve H, currently on: (version 5.2.23)
contributions:
Birthdays mod, Top Users mod, Icon legend.tpl, (plus a handful of bugfixes and old 5.0 creations)
February 06, 2008 05:58PM
ts77
well, we got a bug tracking system [trac.phorum.org] for telling us about bugs instead of posting rude messages or posting them in some other message where they might get lost.

Sorry I was trying to be humorous, not rude, but didn't do such a good job of that. It won't happen again. And thanks for the link to the bug tracker, somehow I never saw that before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login