Firefox PHP

make phorum spider friendly

Posted by Christian Springub 
Hi,

this hack will make the articels in your forum spider friendly. The script doesn't change the phorum code, it generates a seperate spider friendly index of all messages.
( For people how doesn't know, why spiders don't take phorum sites in their index should read this article: [www.zend.com])

To use this script you need the mod_rewrite for apache (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html)

What this script does:
The script generate index of all your phorum messages. With the mod_rewrite it will transform the name of the files
direct on the server, without possibility for the spider to notice that. An example: The index will generate a link like
this one: topic-5-342-342.html. This is fine for a spider. The mod_rewrite will rewrite it to read.php?f=5&i=342&t=342.
That's it.

How to install it:
1) First you have to check, if you have the mod_rewrite installed. If not, ask your hoster.

2) Add the following lines to your .htaccess file. (if you haven't anyone, create a new one):
-- insert this into .htaccess
# Start the rewrite engine
RewriteEngine on

# Set the rule for rewriting like in the example
RewriteRule ^topic-(.*)-(.*)-(.*)\.html$ read.php?f=$1&i=$2&t=$3

# Set the rule for rewrite the files of the index (for example: topics-20.html -> topics.php$start=20)
RewriteRule ^topics-(.*)\.html$ topics.php?start=$1
--

3) Edit the configuration section in the script

4) create a file called topics.html (attention, not .php) and put the script into it.

4) Upload it. Open topics-0.html. Enjoy it.

5) I just write this hack and would be glad about any form of feedback. Please mail me, if you want to use this script. If enough people are interested, I will not hesitate to improve the script.
mailto: springub@dream-up.de

A working example:
[www.manic-depressive.de] (pay attention at the links)

Greetings,
Christian Springub
Attachments:
open | download - topics.txt (3 KB)
Hi,

sorry, I am new here. I just see that this phorum is for hacks, which don't work. This hack works, but I put it into Beta, because I think it is not yet completely finished.
ok, I wait for your feedbacks.

Greetings,
Christian Springub
Re: make phorum spider friendly
September 25, 2001 06:44AM
Is there any where that I can see this hack in action?

Thanks,

Gary
Hi,

yes, there is an hack in action:
[www.manic-depressive.de]
(pay attention to the links, there are only .html links without parameters like ?f=5)

Greetings,
Christian Springub
Hey,

I think, I'll use this on jugendserver.spinnenwerk.de but i had some troubles getting it running:

so i changed your line:

RewriteRule ^topic-(.*)-(.*)-(.*)\.html$ read.php?f=$1&i=2&t=$3

to:

RewriteRule ^topic-(.*)-(.*)-(.*)\.html$ read.php?f=$1\&i=2\&t=$3

the slashes do a good job now ;)

Otherwise apache takes them as regex I think...

Bye.
May 08, 2002 11:40PM
Christian,

If this works as you say it does, I will owe you a very big thanks!
Hi,

it works! I already have hits over search engines about this pages.

try it!

Christian
May 11, 2002 04:12PM
Christian, there are a few items not covered in your instructions.

1) Into which .htaccess file do we insert the Rewrite statements? There are .htaccess files scattered all over the place but none in the Phorum top level.

2) Within topics.txt, you forget to include the step which discusses creating topics.html. The script itself is saved *AS* topics.html?

3) To which directory does topics.html get uploaded?
Hi,

> 1) Into which .htaccess file do we insert the Rewrite
> statements? There are .htaccess files scattered all over the
> place but none in the Phorum top level.
Just create a new one in the directory you place the script.

> 2) Within topics.txt, you forget to include the step which
> discusses creating topics.html. The script itself is saved
> *AS* topics.html?
There ist nothing special. The topics.txt just generates the list with the links. You can take any html file and place the topics.txt (place <? at the beginning and ?> at the end :) ) in it. See the example at:
[www.manic-depressive.de]
The list is generated by the script.

> 3) To which directory does topics.html get uploaded?
that is your decision. Place it whereever you want.

Do you have any problems by using the script?
May 12, 2002 02:05PM
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb but I can't get it to work at all and I can't help but feel there's a missing piece to this puzzle. All I have is your topics.txt file and the information contained in these message threads.

I know I must have a .htaccess in the same directory with the Rewrite rules in it. I did that. I pasted the script from topics.txt into a file named topics.html and uploaded it to that same directory. Browsing for topics-0.html returned 404, not found. Browsing topics.html returned the raw code from the script. Is there anything else?

I'm on a Rackspace server just like phorum.org. mod_rewrite is installed. I know it's working because I use Rewrite rules extensively in httpd.conf <virtualhost> containers.

I have examined [www.manic-depressive.de]. All I see is the output from your script, not the script itself. Nor can I see the syntax you used when building topics.html. Having that would be extremely helpful. In fact, you might want to consider including a complete example of the html file in topics.txt.
Hi,

oh, I think I see my mistake. You have to name the the topics file topic.php, not .html, because the rewrite rule changes that.

I just send you example files from my server.

Christian
May 12, 2002 03:02PM
AH HA! The REAL confusion came from this statement from your first post in this thread:

4) create a file called topics.html (attention, not .php) and put the script into it.

It's really the other way around:

3.5) create a file called topics.php (attention, not .html) and put the script into it.

I have to run out for a few hours but I'll try it again when I get back. I'll let you know.

Mark
May 12, 2002 07:31PM
IT WORKS!

[surfsafely.com]

Now I just need to finish off the page layout and link to it from the Phorum top menu so search engine spiders will find it.

Any chance we can get English translations for the German error codes? ;)

Mark
Hi,

> Any chance we can get English translations for the German
> error codes? ;)
yes :)

[...]
@mysql_connect($host,$user,$password)
or die("abort: no connection to '$host'");

// select database or die
@mysql_select_db($database)
or die("abort: database '$database' could not be selected"
."<br><br>MySQL says: ".mysql_error());
[...]
if ($start > 0) {
$newStart = ($start - $limit < 0) ? 0 : ($start-$limit);
echo "<a href=\"topics-" . $newStart . ".html\"><< back</a> ";
}
if ($start + $limit < $total) {
$newStart = $start + $limit;
echo "<a href=\"topics-" . $newStart . ".html\">forward >></a>";
}
[...]
March 18, 2003 02:05PM
Has anyone changed the list.php, that there are also displayed "nice" links without question-mark?

I think it shouldn't be a lot work to do this or am I wrong?

In which file (line?? :-) ) are the links to the topics created?

Bye,
chris
March 20, 2003 09:55AM
I've found the entries.
June 26, 2003 12:51AM
forget all this. use the hack I just posted in the finished hacks forum.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.