Firefox PHP

blocking user by cookie?

Posted by Kevin 
Kevin
blocking user by cookie?
April 29, 2001 11:06AM
Anyone has attempted a hack to block a user by their cookie? My Phorum has a recurring annoyance who started reincarnating himself with different user names. He is hiding behind a ISP's cache so i can filter by host nor name.
Re: blocking user by cookie?
April 30, 2001 07:33PM
there is no way, bacause if you are a new user it will create new cookie, if you clean your cookie phorum will create new unique cookie for u.
Kevin
April 30, 2001 09:57PM
Vulpes,

i was thinking. insert the cookie into part of the database. so if i see a posting from this guy, i will put that cookie into the deny list. ok, he may be smart and flush his cookie, but this poster doesn't look that smart. :)
April 30, 2001 11:51PM
what about banning him by ip addr.?
Kevin
May 01, 2001 01:32AM
he is hiding behind an ISP's cache/proxy.
May 02, 2001 04:07PM
jeez, i dont' know, because we going to need extra db column for storing cookies, then for just banning them, i think you should go with login hack ready to go. you will still be able to read unregistred, but you can't post without logining in.
May 04, 2001 10:30AM
Is the login hack in the finishes forum still the best source for that? I need to add a login soon and don't want to waste my time if there's something better. Thanks! :)

-Matt
Kevin
May 04, 2001 09:14PM
yeah. that's what i was thinking. add another column. i don't like the login hack coz it deter people from joining into the discussion. it is ok for big traffic forums, but for smaller low traffic forums, we want as many participants as possible..
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.