Firefox PHP

Template: Tabbed Emerald

Posted by Joe Curia 
Anonymous User
Re: Template: Tabbed Emerald
July 31, 2009 12:46PM
I have a problem while trying this template: no forum appears on the main page.

However my settings seem to be correct:

General Settings:
How to Display Forums and Folders on the Index Page: Flat structure

I have two forums inside the root folder and settings are made with: Folder: none

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 12:51PM by ab1.
Anonymous User
July 31, 2009 01:17PM
Read me
Please note that this template only works if you utilize the folder system.

I take note...

sorry for my english, i confused "within" and "without".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 01:19PM by ab1.
Anonymous User
July 31, 2009 04:15PM
Ok, that's a sympathic template, but is there a means that there is a new page for each tab ?

When one changes from one tab to another, one is still on the main page of phorum. One can change templates for each tab, this is cool, but the page is still the same, and so one can not have different banners for each tab.

The only solution, as it is, would be to not use the banner manager module, and to directly incorporate the banners via html code in the different templates associated with each tab, but it would be to dismiss the utility of the banner manager module for this case.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 04:54PM by ab1.
July 31, 2009 06:14PM
It doesn't dismiss the utility, but it doesn't match your exact need. Modifying the template instead of using the banner is your solution. The other solution is to submit solid patches that provide this feature as part of the banner manger module. It really is not related to the workings of this template. It works like this for the Emerald template as well. Index is index, no matter if you view the root folder or the contents of some subfolder.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Anonymous User
July 31, 2009 06:23PM
Well, i have finally localised the problem with this template: it seems that one can not change the templates of folders made as a tab, though it is allowed by the core of phorum (admin page-->edit folder-->.display settings->template)
Anonymous User
August 01, 2009 05:38AM
I've just made the test with other templates: the function works very well.

One can attribute a specific template for each forum and each folder independently of the one of the index, which is the template of forum default settings.

But with a tabbed template like the tabbed emerald tpl, the default tpl is attributed to each tab (ex-folders). For the default tab (the first or main tab), it is necessary, but one could make a thing for that the following tabs can be configured with their own tpl, in conformity with the admin board.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2009 05:50AM by ab1.
August 01, 2009 05:55AM
One could, but it's not how this template was implemented and not how the template will be implemented, now I checked out the code.

The tabbed template always opens the root folder for the index. By means of a tabbed template specific parameter "tab", the template is told what tab to view.

This makes sense, since for the root view, all forums and folders are available. When you view a folder in one of the other templates, you will see that there's only the folder and it's contents and no longer any information on the context of the folder (sibling folders and their forums).

So remember that the tabbed template simply is a different representation of the standard root index view and that tabs are not a subfolder view. You are comparing two different things here. Your idea will not work.

The way to go: hack the template and show a different header based on the "tab" parameter that is used by the tabbed template.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Anonymous User
August 01, 2009 08:04AM
I've not currently enough experience in code to do that.

But in another way, it would have seemed more coherent, from my personal point of view, to generate a template which is totally integrated with the admin board functions, which contains the possibility via edit_folder.php, to change templates for each significant elements of phorum: forums, folders, and why not tabs, which are indicated as folders into the admin section.
August 01, 2009 10:08AM
Tabs are not an existing concept, so therefore this is as coherent as it gets. Tabs are just a different kind of representation for folders on the index page. Nothing more, nothing less.

What you seem to think, is that viewing a tab is the same thing as viewing a folder in another template. That is not true. You are always viewing the root index page in a different layout: folders shown as tabs and only the forums from the selected tab are shown; the rest of the forums in the other folders/tabs are simply hidden. So this template gives you a more compact index page, in the same way as a template that would allow collapsing folders.

And a request: please stop telling us that you don't have enough experience in coding. We all started like that. If you want to do customization that you cannot handle yourself and that is not picked up by any of the developers that hang around on these forums (e.g. because it's such a cool concept or because it's requested very often by Phorum admins), then either take care of gaining experience or hire some coder that will do the required changes for you.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Anonymous User
August 01, 2009 10:49AM
Tabs are not only a different representation of folders. Tabs are the folders of the forum itself. Because you can not create tabs without creating first a folder, as pointed out in the description of the template. In doing so, the folder derived as a tab loses the capacity of having a new template attributed (which is understandable because tabs only exists with tabbed templates). But where is the loss, is that other tabbed templates can not be attributed to specific tabs, which means that the admin panel loses its coherence regarding to the gestion of display settings concerning tabs-folders.

So it is not just a question of customization, but a question of coherence of the release itself: either the template is not totally integrated and finished, either the core of the phorum is not enough advanced to support this kind of new templates, but i really don't have the ability to correct this as a simple user and a newbie in informatics.

Thanks for your understanding.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login