Firefox PHP

Cookies

Posted by Birgitta 
Cookies
December 10, 2012 09:26AM
I need to have my phorum ask visitors if they accept cookies before they enter my site. Is there such a module or do you have a suggestion on how I can do this?

/Birgitta
Re: Cookies
December 10, 2012 09:37AM
No, there is no such module yet.
What do you want to do if they accept to receive cookies or if they deny it?

Thomas Seifert
December 10, 2012 09:55AM
In the EU there is a law that you must have the consent of the visitors to use cookies before they have the cookie put on their computer. It is not enough that they are informed about it after they have entered. It is also not enough that they can make modifikations in their browser to not accept cookies.

I have to ask them before they enter, or I am braking the law. This is in the whole european union.

I want a window that appears that tells them about the cookies and asks "Do you want to continue to the website, or do you want to exit?" or something like that.

If they say Exit I just want them to go back to where they were before or somewhere else. If they say Yes they just go on into the forum.

/Birgitta
December 10, 2012 09:57AM
Well, thats a simple javascript confirmation window to add, nothing special to phorum.
You will need a cookie though to set the information that they've already seen the question and confirmed it.

Thomas Seifert
December 10, 2012 10:00AM
I don't know at all how to do this so I'll just have to wait until someone makes a module out of this.

How do you mean about the cookie to set the information that they've already seen the question and confirmed it? Do you mean for next time they try to enter the forum?

/B
December 10, 2012 10:02AM
Like I said, no module needed for that. Just some simple JavaScript put into the template.

No, I mean for every page on your website they look at after initially getting the message. Otherwise they would get the message over and over again - you need to remember somehow that they got the message already and confirmed it.

Thomas Seifert
December 10, 2012 10:11AM
Ah, I see!

Damn...

So I can't get around this problem then...

I think it's going to be a big problem in the near future because the law just came 2011 and now the authoreties are beginning to act on it.
December 10, 2012 10:47AM
I don't think this is a problem because it will only set a cookie if they allowed you to set cookies ;). otherwise they will be just sent back to the page from which they were coming.

Thomas Seifert
December 10, 2012 10:52AM
Ok then!

So all I have to learn now is to do java programming?

May I ask another question?

Is there a new version of Phorum on the way, and is it difficult to upgrade?
December 10, 2012 10:56AM
no, not java, just javascript.
And I'm pretty sure that someone thought of it and made that small javascript snippet yet. Maybe you can find it through google somewhere.
Like I said, its not specific to phorum.

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login