Firefox PHP

Module: External Phorummail

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: Module: External Phorummail
September 17, 2010 04:20PM

* Is it possible for me to enable SSL in my free gmail account?

No. It IS enabled by Google already.

If not - I understand that I cannot use it with my free gmail account.

Wrong. No one said that. You need to enable SSL in the External Phorummail module.

* When I installed this module in my forum the module does not report anything at all. Everything was fine. I absolutely don't know whether OpenSSL is enabled in the machine (where our forum is hosted) or not. Can you please help me - how can we check whether OpenSSL is enabled in the host computer or not?

See the settings of this module. It will tell right behind the checkbox for SSL if OpenSSL is enabled or not.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
September 17, 2010 07:30PM
@Thomas Seifert: Yes, I checked and in the settings of phorum mail it is written "Yes (OpenSSL extension is installed)", and the checkbox is checked as well.
Other things -
In the settings every checkbox is checked; Connection type is selected as POP3; Host name is given as pop.gmail.com; and my username and password supplied.
1) You said - SSL is enabled by Google already. (Thus this condition is met)
2) From the message present in the settings panel it is clear that - in my host machine "OpenSSL extension is installed" (Thus this condition is also met)
3) The cron job is enabled successfully in the cpanel, evident from the fact that it is calling and executing the script.php file. (By the way the command I have used in cpanel to schedule the cron job is - cd /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/; php -q script.php --scheduled > /dev/null (This condition also seems to be fine)

Thus it was expected to work fine. But the problem seems to be "Google DO NOT allow POP3 or IMAP services to the clients that are NOT listed in the list provided in their help pages" as evident from: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287. This google help page says - " we're unable to provide assistance for clients not in our supported POP client list." Possibly the same is true about Google IMAP support as well. I tried that too - but got the similar error as given below -
<br /><b>Fatal error</b>: Uncaught exception 'ezcMailTransportException' with message 'An error occured while sending or receiving mail. Failed to connect to the server: imap.gmail.com:143.' in /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/transport_connection.php:97
Stack trace:
#0 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/imap/imap_transport.php(377): ezcMailTransportConnection-&gt;__construct('imap.gmail.com', 143, Object(ezcMailImapTransportOptions))
#1 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ext_phorummail.php(90): ezcMailImapTransport-&gt;__construct('imap.gmail.com', NULL, Object(ezcMailImapTransportOptions))
#2 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/common.php(1693): phorum_ext_phorummail_scheduled()
#3 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/script.php(248): phorum_hook('phorum_ext_phor...')
#4 {main}
thrown in <b>/home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/transport_connection.php</b> on line <b>97</b><br />

Now let me try with the email account from my own host server itself. I will get back to you with updates and if some issues encountered, seeking guidance and solutions for them. :) Thanks a lot for patient guidance provided
September 17, 2010 09:08PM
Hi,
Now I was trying to get it working using an email account in the host server. But still the same result, I am getting an error as follows -
<br /><b>Fatal error</b>: Uncaught exception 'ezcMailTransportException' with message 'An error occured while sending or receiving mail. Failed to connect to the server: mail.ancientindianastrology.com:110.' in /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/transport_connection.php:97
Stack trace:
#0 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/pop3/pop3_transport.php(206): ezcMailTransportConnection-&gt;__construct('mail.ancientind...', 110, Object(ezcMailPop3TransportOptions))
#1 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ext_phorummail.php(65): ezcMailPop3Transport-&gt;__construct('mail.ancientind...', NULL, Object(ezcMailPop3TransportOptions))
#2 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/common.php(1693): phorum_ext_phorummail_scheduled()
#3 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/script.php(248): phorum_hook('phorum_ext_phor...')
#4 {main}
thrown in <b>/home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/transport_connection.php</b> on line <b>97</b><br />
The external phorum mail module is possibly trying to access the server mail.ancientindianastrology.com using port 110. May be the server is not supporting mail access to this port (My knowledge in these areas are very limited). But I can provide the email configuration info that is provided by my host server. It is as follows -
Manual Settings
Mail Server Username: aiaforum+ancientindianastrology.com
Incoming Mail Server: mail.ancientindianastrology.com
Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) node01.tmdhosting510.com
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.ancientindianastrology.com (server requires authentication) port 2525
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) node01.tmdhosting510.com (server requires authentication) port 465
Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)
I would really love to get this module working for my forum. What could be the issue? Can you please guide me?

I am unaware of many things. Just some questions out of curiosity and ignorance are given below -
What is the port number being used by the above server, so that external phorum mail module will successfully access it and download the messages? phorum mail uses the incoming mail server and port or the outgoing mail server and port?
Is there a way or need to configure port info in external phorum mail module anywhere?
Thanksing you in advance,
Sreenadh
September 17, 2010 09:33PM
Please try the attached update (Version 2.1.3) and see if it works. It fixes some issues, one with ssl connections.
If it does, I will replace the version in the first message of this thread.

Edit: removed attachment

Thomas Seifert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 10:29AM by Thomas Seifert.
September 17, 2010 10:18PM
No. I am getting a similar error even though the port number etc is different. The error message is as follows -
<br /><b>Fatal error</b>: Uncaught exception 'ezcMailTransportException' with message 'An error occured while sending or receiving mail. Failed to connect to the server: mail.ancientindianastrology.com:995.' in /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/transport_connection.php:97
Stack trace:
#0 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Mail/src/transports/pop3/pop3_transport.php(206): ezcMailTransportConnection-&gt;__construct('mail.ancientind...', 995, Object(ezcMailPop3TransportOptions))
#1 /home/arshainf/public_html/ancientindianastrology.com/group/mods/ext_phorummail/ext_phorummail.php(67): ezcMailPop3Transport-&gt;__construct('mail.ancientind...', NULL, Object(ezcMailPop3TransportOptions))
#4 {main}

Note: I have deleted the ext_phorummail module from my mod directory and updated with this version. After that "Check Modules for Upgrades" module is reporting "External Phorummail (version 2.1.3) - Upgrade Available (2.1.2)"! This version is 2.1.3 and the upgrade is 2.1.2?
September 17, 2010 10:21PM
You selected SSL for your host but your message above tells that you need to change the servername to node01.tmdhosting510.com for SSL connections.
The faulty upgrade check is because this version is not yet added to the first message in the post - as told above.

Thomas Seifert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 10:22PM by Thomas Seifert.
September 17, 2010 11:50PM
You are absolutely right! Thanks a lot! Got it working! :D Now any member of my forum posting to aiaforum@ancientindianastrology.com is getting posted in our forum and the messages of members (emails) which are not a member in our group is just vanishing from the mailbox itself. Good! :) Please proceed with uploading this version - it works! (for me for sure!)

I have one doubt -
Why is it that even the unmoderated member's (e.g. admin or members made part of "Pre-Approved Posters" through "Pre-Approved Posters Module" or the other similar module) messages are getting struck in the "pending messages for moderation" queue? But that is a minor issue that you can address in the next version I hope. As of now this itself is excellent!

Thanks a lot!
Note: I will later try with IMAP settings and will provide the feedback.
September 18, 2010 10:30AM
Thanks for your feedback. Its now the default version here.

Pre-Approved Posters is simply another module doing different stuff. I have no current plans to implement its support to the module but I accept patches.

Thomas Seifert
October 06, 2010 06:36PM
Hi Thomas, At this time all the imported posts are labeled with "Anonymous User". Is there any setting I can change in order to display the "From:"-name of the original email? Thank you!
October 06, 2010 06:38PM
The distributed version does that already. I don't know how you got the "anonymous user" there. What settings did you enable?

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login