Firefox PHP

Module: External Phorummail

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: Module: External Phorummail
September 06, 2009 08:41PM
Please do (leave out the part where people do nasty stuff to those cows at the county fair). Have fun!

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Feature Request
September 08, 2009 04:18AM
I came across something that had not happened before in several thousand messages imported using this mod and its predecessor. Someone used the word "file[s]" in an email. This, of course was parsed as "file" and then everything following it was strikethrough.

Since we rarely, if ever, use that text style it isn't a huge issue. I simply disabled that BBcode and all was well in Who-ville. But it would be nice if BBcode within emails was parsed as plain text only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 04:20AM by Jim O.
Re: Feature Request
September 08, 2009 07:23AM
Well, thats not really a feature request for the module as it doesn't parse bbcode at all. Its the bbcode module which parses the message body when reading it.
Its the same as posting a message with "file[s]" in it ... just that you have the chance to modify the message before posting and quote the bbcode.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
September 08, 2009 09:27AM
Maurice had a good idea for that. I could set the "Disable BBcode" flag for email posts (with a switch in the module settings obviously).

I'll put this on the todo list for the module.

Thomas Seifert
September 08, 2009 02:51PM
Sounds good. Thank you. :)
September 21, 2009 05:12AM
Robert Angle
Thomas Seifert
Yeah, that shows utf8.
But your database was/is latin1.
So you might be storing utf8 data in a latin1 database.
not a safe thing to do but might work as long as your users mostly use iso/ascii characters.

Some imported mail will have some goofy looking charachters in the message bodies.

But in the areas where my members can see and participate, my Phorum is working flawlessly.

However, is there a way to correct the situation? I know Maurice said it's not an easy thing to do to convert the database. But would it be easier if I deleted the forum with all the imported mail? The one you saw was really just to test the script, but it does make up the bulk of the messages right now. I wouldn't care about deleting that one, and keeping the forums that I actually have users participating in.

Or, can a new database (utf8) be created, and then the information from the one database be imported into the new one?

I don't know anything about databases so I am just throwing out theories. Of course, if the best thing to do is leave what's well enough alone, that's cool too. I'll just have to get used to this latin1 weirdo stigma following me around :-)

- Bob

It is possible, and easiest if you use linux/bsd, or lots of hard work on windows. See this: [combatwombat.7doves.com]
Make sure all data transports are utf8, make new utf8 data base without tables, use the technique in the blog post to convert current copy of database to utf8, import the sql utf8 newly created into new database. Done.
September 21, 2009 02:53PM
that doesn't fix (or better, it breaks) serialized data though if there are utf8 chars in it.

Thomas Seifert
September 21, 2009 03:10PM
And don't forget to run the script from earlier in this thread. By only following a blunt charset conversion, you will break your database.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
September 23, 2009 04:35PM
Hi! I had a bit of a problem running the script... I'm sure it's just a simple noob mistake.

So I installed as described and everything seems to work fine as far as the settings. It's just running the script. My hosting service wants me to pay extra for shell access, so I use phpsh instead. Phpsh.php allows me to run a basic shell/command interface through a php script, so perhaps it's part of the problem.

Anyhow, I run the "cd /home/your/phorum/directory && /usr/bin/php ./script.php --scheduled" command and get a "No such file or directory" response.

Of course I realize I need to put in my path... I've interpreted that to be:
"cd /home/obioorg1/public_html/forums && /usr/bin/php ./script.php --scheduled"

When I run that I get the same response. If I run "cd /home/obioorg1/public_html/forums" it takes me to my Phorum directory "forums" under my web root. So I figure it must be something with the "&& /usr/bin/php ./script.php --scheduled" part.

My guess is there is something I'm supposed to change in that part, but unfortunately it's not immediately obvious to me. I figure you expert wizards can tell me instantly what I'm doing wrong, so I thought I'd just ask rather than beat my head against the screen all day.

I won't check back until later in the day, so perhaps you could write a bit of an explanation to help any future noobs. BTW my account has all features I'm aware of so far, I just didn't want to be a sucker and pay extra for shell access. It has a cPanel interface with a cron module that looks pretty complete, so if I can just figure out the proper command to run the script I should be fine.

Thanks!

-Jake
September 23, 2009 04:42PM
well, it could simply be that /usr/bin/php isn't available for you or php is installed in another location. maybe there isn't even a php cli available to the "phpsh". You will have to find out IF php is available and where its installed if it is.
Not much we can do about this. The script was built with real shell access in mind.

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login