Firefox PHP

Module: External Phorummail

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: Module: External Phorummail
March 23, 2011 04:01PM
Not until I looked at the changes before I put it in a post under my name ;-).
I'm out of town right now but I'll check it during the weekend.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
March 23, 2011 10:23PM
Thomas Seifert
Not until I looked at the changes before I put it in a post under my name ;-).
I'm out of town right now but I'll check it during the weekend.

No problem :-)

In settings.php, I added lines 44, 91 & 92.

In ext_phorummail.php, I added lines 127, and 354 through 357.

Robert Angle
Phorum lover, nothing more.
Ruminations
March 27, 2011 07:17PM
What's the best way to troubleshoot External Phorummail attempts to get mail from a mailserver?
I've run script.php and it finishes quickly without much comment. My test message did not appear on the forum so I'm wondering what went wrong. For starters, how would I find out whether or not it was able to access the mail account?
Sorry if I'm missing something basic. Phorum is new to me.
March 28, 2011 02:28AM
Hello steveb,

Can you view the Inbox of the pop3 account? If the message disappears from the Inbox, then External Phorummail downloaded it and this was able to access the mail account.

Make sure "Post Emails from Registered Users" is UNchecked. This way, ANY email that gets sent to the email account that you are importing from will get imported.

Robert Angle
Phorum lover, nothing more.
Ruminations
March 28, 2011 03:26PM
The messages are not getting picked up. I can use a mail client to see that messages are there. I can also view the maillog file on the pop server and did some tests from the different server where Phorum is installed using command line openssl to connect to the server on port 995 and issue POP commands. That all works fine and afterward I can see entries in the maillog. When I run "php ./script.php --scheduled" and then look in the log there is no record of the connection being made. The only output I get from script.php are two harmless PHP Deprecated messages about comment syntax in some unrelated PHP .ini files.

I'm using Phorum 5.2.15a, PHP 5.3 with OpenSSL/0.9.8k and External Phorummail version 2.1.5. In the External Phorummail settings, none of the checkboxes in the top section are checked. In the section for the specific forum both Enable and SSL are checked, POP3 is selected, host name, user name and password are set same as in my other tests.

It would be great if there were some kind of verbose mode for testing. I guess my next step is to look at script.php and see if I can do something like that. Any other ideas?
March 28, 2011 05:13PM
For starters: is the module itself enabled?

Usually you are getting big fat messages if something in the connection is going wrong.

Edit: IF you want to do some debugging then you will need to modify ext_phorummail.php as script.php is only a wrapper loading module functions.

Thomas Seifert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 05:14PM by Thomas Seifert.
March 28, 2011 09:25PM
Robert, I've rewrapped and uploaded your version now. Well done!

Thomas Seifert
March 29, 2011 08:35PM
Robert and Thomas, thanks for your help. The problem I was having was caused by something I hadn't thought about in a plugin I wrote for the External Authentication module. I've fixed that and verified that External Phorummail and Mailinglist modules are both doing their job though I haven't tried it with a mailing list in the middle. That will be next. Should work. Found helpful info about how the two work together on page 10 of this thread.
May 02, 2011 05:24PM
Just a quick note. I'm using this mod with a 2003 Exchange server and IMAP. Being a good dobe, my password has special characters in it.

I was getting the message "Unexpected additional characters at the end of command". I eventually found out that you need to put quotes around the password if it has special characters in it.

I patched ext_phorummail.php to put quotes around the password before it passes it off to ezc and that fixed the problem.

Not sure what to do if the password has qoutes...

Nick
October 14, 2011 03:12PM
Hi,

I've just discovered Phorum today (kudos to the developers) and am already interested in using modules.

I've installed and activated Mailinglist v.1.5.1 without any problems, but I'm having some issues with External Phorummail v.2.1.5. I've installed and activated the module, and have tried to run the following command via cPanel's cron feature:

cd /home/espirian/www/phorum/ && /usr/bin/php ./script.php --scheduled

The message returned is as follows:

X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.17
Set-Cookie: phorum_session_st=deleted; expires=Thu, 14-Oct-2010 10:16:00 GMT; path=/
Set-Cookie: phorum_session_v5=deleted; expires=Thu, 14-Oct-2010 10:16:00 GMT; path=/
Content-type: text/html

This script cannot be run from a web browser.

Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login