Firefox PHP

Module: Hide Reply Editor

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
hide_reply_editor-1.0.2.tar.gz 2.7 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 01/13/2011 Read message
hide_reply_editor-1.0.2.zip 4.6 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 01/13/2011 Read message
Module: Hide Reply Editor
July 17, 2009 03:02AM
This module will hide the reply editor on the read page.
The editor is only shown after a user actively clicks the Reply or Quote button.

This will improve the threaded structure of a discussion, because it prevents the user from simply scrolling down and starting to type, in which case the reply would always be a reply to the last message. For users that use flat mode reading, this is no problem, but threaded (or hybrid, which is a form of threading too) readers would have a hard time following the conversation. Also, this makes moderation somewhat easier, because "Delete + Replies" becomes more reliable.

The same effect could be accomplished by setting "Reply form appears: on a separate page" in the General Settings, since this forces the user to always click Reply or Quote as well, but then the user is unable to see the rest of the discussion while typing the new message.

Changelog:
----------

2011-01-13 v1.0.2

- Switched to using jQuery code in the javascript for this module.

- The editor textarea is now automatically focussed when the editor is
     shown.

2009-10-27 v1.0.1

- Also make the hide reply editor functionality available when the
     forum is in threaded mode. Initially, this was explicitly not
     implemented, because the module's main target was to improve
     threading structure for flat view and hybrid view. Based on
     demand, the functionality was extended to threaded mode as well.

2009-07-17 v1.0.0

- Initial release

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 07:54AM by Maurice Makaay.
Attachments:
open | download - hide_reply_editor-1.0.2.tar.gz (2.7 KB)
open | download - hide_reply_editor-1.0.2.zip (4.6 KB)
Re: Module: Hide Reply Editor
September 10, 2009 08:11PM
Thanks for creating this mod. It's exactly what I'm looking for and it came at just the right time.

However, it doesn't seem to do anything. I've got the module installed, it shows up in the admin page, and I've set it to "On." But the reply window still shows up at the bottom of all the threads. Is there something I've missed? Or is this maybe only supposed to affect new threads?
September 11, 2009 08:28PM
Do you see this happening too when you select the emerald template?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 27, 2009 04:32PM
Hello, I have been working in the Phorum for a couple weeks. Great Software. I use the threaded mode and needed a way to hide the reply without going to the Posting.php. So I downloaded the "hide reply mod", and it doesnt seem to work. I am using the Emerald template. Any Ideas. Or suggestions that I could look for. I need to have this working this way. Thanks for the help.
October 27, 2009 06:43PM
The module was explicitly written to not implement this feature for threaded mode. The main goal was to improve threaded structuring for flat read modes (flat and hybrid). I just uploaded version 1.0.1 of the module, which implements the feature for threaded mode as well.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 28, 2009 11:16AM
Thank you for the incredible quick support. And putting up the new version. Outstanding!! When I get better at PHP, I will want to give back. Thanks Again. :)
October 28, 2009 11:55AM
You're welcome and thanks for reporting back that it works for you now.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 13, 2010 07:35PM
I installed this module but noticed that the editor now automatically shows up at the end of the flat "Read" page. Was it meant to work like that?
January 14, 2010 06:59AM
The module hides the editor and makes it visible when starting a reply. Nowhere is said that this module would change the positioning of the editor, so it shows up where it did show up before. So yes: it's definitely meant to work like this.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 14, 2010 09:20AM
Funny, since the editor suddenly shows up without starting a reply. Without activating this module my users used to receive the posting form on a new page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login