Firefox PHP

Module: Check Subscriptions

Posted by tomierna 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
check_subscriptions.tar.gz 2.8 KB open | download tomierna 03/25/2009 Read message
Module: Check Subscriptions
December 19, 2007 10:31PM
Hi, all.

A bit ago, I asked if there was a module that would allow a user to click a link and be presented with new messages from their followed topics.

This behavior is one step toward mimicking the WebX functionality of the same name.

It wasn't too hard to make this mod; most of the code is repurposed from follow.php.

I used mmakaay's fine "Recent Messages" mod as a base for the code, as this was my first Phorum Mod.

This mod has been in successful use for a little under a week on my Phorum installation, a 5.2.3-rc1 install.
Attachments:
open | download - check_subscriptions.tar.gz (2.8 KB)
Re: Module: Check Subscriptions
December 20, 2007 08:45AM
Thanks for posting your module!

If you used my mod as a base, then maybe we should look into merging the functionality and making this another category for the recent messages module. When I've got some time I will check out if this can be done easily.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
December 20, 2007 08:31PM
Well to be honest, there wasn't much code from your module I used, just the basic structure and the fact that it used the addon hook and the output hook.

I used your mod as a guide to understand where to put things and how to do it :)

I'll be working on another mod to add forum-following, and I'll probably end up revving this mod to support that.
December 21, 2007 02:38AM
No problem. Peeking at code to get one going is the best thing since sliced bread. Since I want this kind of functionality for the recent messages module too, I might peek back a little ;-)

About your package: It seems you had vi open when packaging. There's a lang/.english.php.swp file in it.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 02:43AM by mmakaay.
December 21, 2007 12:38PM
tomierna
Hi, all.

A bit ago, I asked if there was a module that would allow a user to click a link and be presented with new messages from their followed topics.

I don't understand. Isn't this already available from the Control Center? Can't you just link to that?

What I would like to see is an indicator at the upper right of all screens, saying "New Followed Topics", like the private message one. Something that changes to indicate if anything is new or not at a glance. This could then link to the existing control center page. Perhaps this is what you mean?

I'd also like to see the same functionality with the Recent Messages module. (right now you can't tell if anything is new until you go there)
December 21, 2007 01:21PM
Well, the Control Center shows a list of Followed Topics, which you then have to click on to read.

This mod makes a link you can click to be redirected automatically to the Followed Topics with new Posts.
December 21, 2007 01:58PM
stevehealy
What I would like to see is an indicator at the upper right of all screens, saying "New Followed Topics", like the private message one. Something that changes to indicate if anything is new or not at a glance. This could then link to the existing control center page. Perhaps this is what you mean?

I'd also like to see the same functionality with the Recent Messages module. (right now you can't tell if anything is new until you go there)

I have a request for that kind of stuff for a client of mine. The basic principle is not too hard, but the trick is to make it a resource friendly implementation. I already have some ideas for a module that does this. This module would be fully independant from recent message and the module from this thread. It's different functionality and should be separate IMO.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login