Firefox PHP

Module: User Avatar

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: Module: User Avatar
August 08, 2008 07:35PM
Click on the missing photos to get their properties (mainly link)
Looks like the url generated in the template file isn't pointing to the correct file (will be one of the cc_ panel in avatar templates directory)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2008 07:39PM by DavidVB.
August 10, 2008 12:56PM
so what do I do about that?
August 10, 2008 01:00PM
whats the url shown?
whats the version of the module shown in the admin? are you using multiple avatar modules by chance?

Thomas Seifert
August 11, 2008 01:00PM

whats the url shown?
secretninjaman.com/forum/file.php/some number/some number/file name.gif

NOTE: This is the URL in the preview that is not working. The real URL is secretninjaman.com/forum/file.php?forum_id,file=file_id

are you using multiple avatar modules by chance?
no.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2008 01:00PM by SecretNinjaMan Maker.
August 11, 2008 02:46PM
You have "use path info" enabled for the file URLs in the general settings page in the admin and something goes wrong with that. I setup the module on my own Phorum 5.2 test forum and played with path info and file access settings, but I was unable to reproduce the problem that you are seeing.

The server that you are hosting on might not support path info. From the help text next to the option:

The webserver needs to support the use of pathinfo for this feature to work. So if you are unable to download files after enabling this option, your webserver probably lacks pathinfo support and you cannot use this feature.

My conclusion would be that your host does not support this, so switch off the feature as instructed in the help info. The problem with the path info missing could be because your host seems to run PHP as a CGI script and the setup possibly does not pass on path info to the called script. If you want further support to get the path info solution for file links working, then you need to talk to your host.

I also see that they are running PHP 4.4.8. Ask your host if you can upgrade to PHP5, because that is the official version that Phorum supports. None of the developers is on PHP4 anymore.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
August 11, 2008 07:14PM
I'm sorry, as you mentioned in your other post ;) about groups, I am NOT a computer programmer. I freely admit it. I am just a person who creates websites and learns basic php, HTML, and javascript to use in them. I have no idea what you mean by upgrade to the latest version of PHP, so if you could be kind enough to explain that a bit further, I would thank you very much.

Also, I have fixed the problem. It, as you said, was that "use path info" was enabled. Thanks!
August 11, 2008 07:56PM
SecretNinjaMan Maker
I have no idea what you mean by upgrade to the latest version of PHP, so if you could be kind enough to explain that a bit further, I would thank you very much.

PHP 4 has reached it's end of updates, security or bug related, with the release of version 4.4.9. Many web hosts have known for some time to upgrade their servers to PHP 5.

Maybe you could contact your hosting provider and ask them how you could enable PHP 5.

--
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
August 12, 2008 02:05AM
Yeah, what Bert says. PHP is the programming language that is used for writing Phorum code. You cannot upgrade PHP yourself, unless you are the maintainer of the server. Since you are hosting with a hosting company, you should ask this company to do the upgrade for you. Like Bert suggests, there is a big chance that they can simply switch your site from PHP4 to PHP5.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
August 12, 2008 08:00PM
Thanks...ok...but will this make any major look changes to the websites? I have more than 1, you know...

What are some drawbacks of not upgrading? Thanks
August 13, 2008 04:03AM
If your websites are compatible with PHP5, then it is okay.
I can't tell if your PHP code is modern enough.
Phorum will work and will not change its looks.

Not upgrading: at some point, Phorum might stop working because we could use functionality that is only available in PHP5 and up. Also, PHP4 is no longer in maintenance. The PHP group itself by now abondoned PHP4. So security bugs in PHP4 might not get fixed anymore.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login