Firefox PHP

Module: Group Auto-Email

Posted by Joe Curia 
Oh this cron job thing sounds like it might be cool. Does this mean that there will no longer be performance concerns if a large number of people are subscribed to receive posts to that forum?

I had been entertaining the idea of a mailing list as my subscriber-to-forum base grows, to which I use this module. But if cron jobs will take care of it now, then I should be happy to keep everything internal to phorum.

Robert Angle
Phorum lover, nothing more.
Ruminations
Re: Module: Group Auto-Email v5.2.1.07 - Cronjob Mail Queues, Debugging, Simple Rounded Template Support
February 07, 2010 01:05PM
Yes, the cronjob mail queue should alleviate the lag a large group of users could cause for this module. With the mail queue the only work that is done when posting is to prepare the email data and the list of recipients. No actual emails are sent until the cronjob calls the "scheduled" hook for this module. When the hook is called, a number of emails are sent (20 if there are attachments, 50 if not). This will continue until there are no emails remaining in the queue.

In my own testing with only 30 users, a post with a 1.75MB attachment took 8 seconds without the mail queue and 3 seconds with the mail queue. I would imagine that as you get into the 100's of users the time to post would be reduced on an even greater scale.

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald
noe
Re: Module: Group Auto-Email
February 11, 2010 09:34PM
Hi,

Just a small suggestion for your module:

I noticed that even users who aren't in any group see the settings options for this module in their controlcenter. To not confuse them with things they don't have access to, I thought it might be useful to hide these settings from them.

So I added this line

Language: PHP
if(!phorum_api_user_check_group_access(PHORUM_USER_GROUP_APPROVED, PHORUM_ACCESS_ANY, 0)) return;

in group_autoemail.php (line 506);
June 29, 2010 11:58AM
I have the "group auto email" in place. I also have one of my forums moderated. If I post to this forum as a moderator the message is automatically sent out without being held. Is this the way it should be, i.e. phorum knows I am a moderator and thinks that I know what I am sending and fires straight on through the group auto email?
Re: Moderator
June 29, 2010 01:12PM
harry, if a problem relates to a specific module, please post in that module's thread. . .
As for the email's going out immediately, this module checks to see if a message is approved, if so, yes, it sends it out immediately just as the message is immediately posted and visible in the forum itself. If a message is not yet approved, this module will not send the email. However, when a message is approved by an admin/moderator, this module will then send the message. I hope that is clear enough, but let me know if you have more questions.

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald
June 29, 2010 01:48PM
and yes, if a moderator posts in a moderated forum then his post is automatically approved. nothing special for this module.

Thomas Seifert
June 29, 2010 02:51PM
Hi Joe and Thomas
Thanks for the update Thomas says what I believed was happening, also sorry for not posting in the correct area in the first place.
Harry
Re: Module: Group Auto-Email
September 25, 2010 08:25AM
Hi,
I was trying to maximum utilize this module along with external phorum mail module. My requirement was like this -
"Every forum present in my site should have a UNIQUE email id for them to RECEIVE the emails, the mails posted to that mails should be delivered to members of that forum (alone). Thus even without visiting the website, users should be able to communicate back and forth through email, undisturbed by the existence of other forums in the same site. (i.e. Just like the way yahoo groups function. For me a forum within the phorum installation is similar to one yahoo group)"
=========
I am using "External phorum mail" module to RECEIVE emails to the phorum and "Group auto email" module to SEND all new mails to everyone who keeps the Group auto email feature "ON" in control center.
I know that I can configure multiple email accounts with "External phorum mail" module to RECEIVE emails - this is really positive!
But the "Group auto email" module currently takes only one email id that is configured in the "General settings" section of the Forum website to be shown in the "From email" section of the mail. - This is really negative!
I want to specify/choose/provide a different email id as "From email" in the SEND message depending on the forum on which the message got posted, so that I can configure multiple email accounts in "External phorum email" module. This will result in users posting to different forums sending their mails to different email addresses, and receiving emails from different email addresses; or in short without conflict multiple forums can co-exist and depend on emails for sending and receiving messages/posts.
I knew that to implement this I will have to tweak or modify the "group_autoemail.php" file that is part of the "Group Auto Email module".
=========
And even though not a coder I was able to figure out how to do it! And now I am able to maintain unique email id for different forums. and forums can exist without interfering with the mail communication happening related to other forums! This is what I did -
There was a line in the group_autoemail.php that reads -
$headers = "From: $sender_name <$sender_address>\r\n";
I modified this section with the following conditional code -
if(strip_tags($PHORUM["DATA"]["NAME"])=="ABC"){ //ABC is the name of one forum $headers = "From: ABC <ABC@XYZ.com>\r\n"; //Mail address for one forum } else if (strip_tags($PHORUM["DATA"]["NAME"])=="PQR"){ //PQR is the name of another forum $headers = "From: PQR <PQR@XYZ.com>\r\n"; //Mail address for another forum } else{ $headers = "From: $sender_name <$sender_address>\r\n"; }

Now it works wonderfully!
I think this functionality should be inbuilt and part of the group_autoemail module itself. Because we not only want to send out all new mails to members who had registered/subscribed/joined specific forums, but also want to show DIFFERENT EMAIL IDs as the sender_email_address for these forums and also want to receive mails by accessing these different accounts by using "External Phorum mail module". Then only the circles becomes complete and the picture becomes perfect. :) I hope someone will include such an enhancement to group_autoemail module.
Note: ext_phorummail module and group_autoemail module are simply superb! Hats-off to Thomas Seifert for writing these two modules.
Regards,
Sreenadh

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 08:32AM by Sreenadh OG.
Deactivated users recieving email
August 08, 2011 10:59AM
Hi,

I have recently updated our phorum installation to version 5.2.16 and installed the Group Auto Email module. The module seems to be working as it should, save for one problem:

There is a number of deactivated users in our database. This is because we only allow access to our forum to paying members of our organisation, and every now and then we block members who haven't paid by deactivating their accounts. We prefer not to delete them, because they often return later, and because if we delete them their posts will be orphaned.

It appears that these deactivated users recieve emails as well.

Deactivated users do not have any group associations, but if you reactivate them, their previous group associations are intact, so it is obviously stored in the DB somewhere. I suppose it must be this that accounts for them recieving emails, even though they are not active users.

Is there any way around this - other than taking the cumbersome route of removing members from their groups before deactivating them? In other words, is it possible to get the module to check for activation status?

Kind regards, and thank you for your efforts.

Peter
Doesn't work the way I expect
October 18, 2011 06:30PM
I installed the Group Auto-Email but it doesn't seem to work as I expect.

I created several users and added the Group to each of them.
I provided Read, Reply, Post access to the Group.
To a couple of members in the group, I added the Forum directly to their accounts as well.

All the members of the Group are able to post to the Forum.
Only the members of the group that have the Forum directly in their accounts are getting email.
I was expecting them to get 2 emails and everyone else to get one.

I turned on the mail debugging but I don't see any messages at all. Should they appear on the screen? Should I be looking in a log file?

Is my understanding of how the module should work correct? Are there some settings I should check?

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login