Firefox PHP

Module: Group Auto-Email

Posted by Joe Curia 
Re: Module: Group Auto-Email
November 01, 2009 08:22AM
Before I experiment with this module, I was wondering if I had this right....

I need to link a group to a specific forum, or at least have a group that contains a particular forum (for mailing) with read access (I dont want every forum sending an email, just one, but I have Register to Group installed which group has several forums in them as part of that group).

The modified script from this post will cause nobody to get mail unless they choose to subscribe, right?

I want to create a forum where posts to that forum can be emailed to users, but only if they choose to have them emailed.

- Bob
November 01, 2009 02:16PM
Robert Angle
I need to link a group to a specific forum, or at least have a group that contains a particular forum (for mailing) with read access (I dont want every forum sending an email, just one, but I have Register to Group installed which group has several forums in them as part of that group).

It sound's like you understand the concept, but if I understand you properly, the group of which registerd users are autmatically made members has read rights to several forums. If so, this module will send emails to the group members for any posts in each of those forums. To use this feature for only one forum you will have to create a second group with access only to that forum.

The modified script from this post will cause nobody to get mail unless they choose to subscribe, right?

I want to create a forum where posts to that forum can be emailed to users, but only if they choose to have them emailed.

I believe that file will help, but if you are willing to wait a couple of days (at most) I will this feature to the module without forcing you to create a franken-module. On the other hand, if you do need to create a new group with only the one forum for sending emails, you could name that group "Subscribers to FORUM" and allow users to join that group from the Control Center without moderator approval. This would effectively restrict the emails so they are sent only to users that request them (by joining the group).

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald
November 01, 2009 08:56PM
Joe Curia
It sound's like you understand the concept, but if I understand you properly, the group of which registerd users are autmatically made members has read rights to several forums. If so, this module will send emails to the group members for any posts in each of those forums. To use this feature for only one forum you will have to create a second group with access only to that forum.

I understand. I'm gonna elaborate more on this below.

Joe Curia
I believe that file will help, but if you are willing to wait a couple of days (at most) I will this feature to the module without forcing you to create a franken-module. On the other hand, if you do need to create a new group with only the one forum for sending emails, you could name that group "Subscribers to FORUM" and allow users to join that group from the Control Center without moderator approval. This would effectively restrict the emails so they are sent only to users that request them (by joining the group).

"franken-module" made me chuckle :-)

I can wait. The idea that was brewing in my head is now being voted on by my members.

But tell me know if this would work. I have Register to Group installed which automatically registers people to the "General Membership" group, which contains several forums with read, post, and reply access. I want to create a new forum where posts to this forum can be emailed if a person chooses it and include it in the General Membership group.

Are you saying I can create a second group, "Subscribers to FORUM" that ALSO has read, reply, and post persmissions to the very same forum (that is part of the general membership group), and these are the ones that will receive mail.

In other words, the same forum could be included in both groups, but only members of the one group will receive the mailings.

Yeah?

- Bob

PS -> And now another thought. Can only "New Topics" be emailed, but "Replies" not be emailed?
November 04, 2009 12:22PM
Robert Angle

Are you saying I can create a second group, "Subscribers to FORUM" that ALSO has read, reply, and post persmissions to the very same forum (that is part of the general membership group), and these are the ones that will receive mail.

In other words, the same forum could be included in both groups, but only members of the one group will receive the mailings.

Uhm, that is how I had read it, too. That would be great!

Robert Angle
PS -> And now another thought. Can only "New Topics" be emailed, but "Replies" not be emailed?

Oh, you mean like the "mailing list" module just that users can subscribe/unsubscribe from the mailings by changing their forum group memberships? I like that idea, too.

BTW: Did someone have a solution to queue the mails from within phorum/php?

-Mila
November 09, 2009 09:29AM
Well I installed the current version of Group Auto Email, and there appears to be no way to limit the module to work only for a particular group. So having a "Subscribers to FORUM" group that gets the mail and a "General Membership" group that does not, although both can read and write to the same forum, does not seem possible.

I was rethinking this, because I want only the New Topic to be emailed, and not the replies. Then I figured that the Admin Mass Email module could be used conditionally sending the mail to those who join the group for mailing purposes as you stated (SUBSCRIBE to ForumX).

But I would like certain other members to send the daily email in my absence, but without making them an admin. In that case this module would be the better alternative, provided I could enable the module or it's mailing capabilities to just one group, and not all groups.

The idea behind this is a Daily Bible Verse and commentary that gets emailed, and then users are invited to reply with their own comments at the forum. New Topics get mailed, but replies do not.

So my site would then run as this: Upon registering, Register to Group module places every body in "General Membership" containing Forum A, B, C, & D (Daily Verse) with read and post permissions.

But I want new posts to Forum D to be able to be received via email, so users could join the "Subscribe to Forum D" group and start getting emails about New Topics only, no replies to topics via email.

There's my meandering thoughts for now :-)

- Bob
November 09, 2009 09:42AM
Hold the phone. There are 2 zip files at the top of the page and the one I downloaded was not yours Joe.

This might be why I saw no options in my Module Settings.

BRB

- Bob
November 09, 2009 10:00AM
Okay, I have a few more options but not the ones I was looking for. It seems that person with read permissions to several forums either get emails about all posts to all forums, or none at all.

- Bob
November 09, 2009 10:16AM
For clarification, I see what my problem is. I have ALL the permissions in the Default Forum Settings for registered users unchecked. This is why I have the Register to Group module, because I have a Group called "General Membership" that has the specific forums and the proper read, post, edit, etc permissions set up. When I approve a user registration, they are automatically assigned to the General Membership group.

I have another group called "Suspended Members" with a forum for dealing with users who are misbehaving. If a user is repeatedly violating the board rules, I can change their "General Membership" status to unapproved, and their "Suspended Members" status to approved. Then the next time they log in, all they can see is this hidden room I have set up for discussing their behavior, which will determine whether they get their privileges back or whether their account will be made inactive.

I have it set up this way so that I did not have to go through a users settings and manually remove their permissions for each and every forum, which would be time consuming.

So if could be possible to enable emails for a particular GROUP, to the exclusion of any other group, that would be perfect. (Much like the Topic Poll can be limited to certain forums.)

- Bob
November 09, 2009 11:05AM
And so I see that I have over complicated things from the beginning. Group permissions override forum settings, so there was never any need for the "General Membership" group and the Register to Group module. I can still have a Suspended Members group that wipes out all their permissions to the individual forum settings.

With a few changes, I will be able to get this mod to do what I want EXCEPT only allowing a new topic and not replies to be emailed.

Sorry for turning this thread into my personal blog, but I thought it might help others trying to accomplish something similar.

- Bob
November 11, 2009 02:00PM
Could you maybe explain how the groups need to be set up so group1 can read/post to a forum without getting emails and the users can join/leave group2 to read/post and get email notifications on all topics of that forum?

On the module settings page I see only 3 checkboxes, but can't seem to figure out how to set the "Subscribers to FORUM" group up with those.

-Mila
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login