Firefox PHP

Module: Last Forum Post

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: Module: Last Forum Post
May 08, 2008 07:16PM
Sorry... is this about this module? Is "> ex_new.tpl -->" a bit of text that you see in your forum? If yes, then it's probably something that has gone wrong in the template editing or so. If you disable this module, does this addition disappear?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
May 08, 2008 09:41PM
amnesia
I thought I should mention that > ex_new.tpl --> pops up at the bottom of my forum

@amnesia: When you grep the phorum files, you will find that index_new.tpl has two lines which end with 'ex_new.tpl -->'.
You will probably have damaged the code of your template's index_new.tpl when adding the Last Forum Post stuff.

Check out that the first and last lines are intact and look like these:

1: <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE index_new.tpl -->
55: <!-- END TEMPLATE index_new.tpl -->

Good luck.

Regards, Ulf Dunkel
May 12, 2008 11:33AM
@maurice, yep

@ulf, I'll check it as soon as i'm off work
May 12, 2008 04:02PM
nope sadly that wasn't it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 04:07PM by amnesia.
May 12, 2008 04:11PM
I ended up adding <!-- after <!-- END TEMPLATE index_new.tpl -->

so it looks like this

<!-- END TEMPLATE index_new.tpl --><!--

to get rid of the ex_new.tpl --> because I don't know where that it showing up from.

edit: I just deleted the whole line at the end of the day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 04:23PM by amnesia.
May 13, 2008 09:11AM
@amnesia: Are you familiar with comments in HTML code? You will probably have damaged one of them in your template file index_new.tpl to which I already pointed you.

HTML comments are always formatted like this:
<!-- Comment text -->

Regards, Ulf Dunkel
June 20, 2008 01:57PM
This module works perfectly, thanks!
One addendum to the documentation for a suggested change to the Emerald template is to remove the nowrap="nowrap" tag from the relevant <td>
If you don't do this, posts with reasonably long subject headers will force the "last post" column to expand greatly, spoiling the look of the main forum list.

I've also wrapped my output with <small> but that's just preference.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
December 23, 2008 05:38PM
I have this mod implemented on my forum, and date format on this mod is the 12h AM/PM format, unlike the default values on rest of forum. Where should I change this in order to get same date time format than rest of forum?

thanks
May 11, 2010 11:55PM
Hi Maurice,

I might have found a bug in the module.

Editing a post title doesn't affect the post's title in the index.php view. There you still see the version before the edit was done.

I already posted it here: [www.phorum.org]
May 12, 2010 01:00AM
I do not consider that to be a bug.
I consider that nitpicking ;-)

• The case where the subject of the last post is edited, is not a very frequent one.
  • The moment a newer thread is posted, the subject will be gone anyway.
  • When updating the subject, there would be a race condition between the update action and a possible newer thread that is posted at the same time. That race condition could result in the new thread subject being overwritten by the updated subject from the edited thread.

I could put a lot of effort and time into designing a system that would keep the last forum message on the index page exactly in sync with updates to that message, but I frankly see no gain in doing so when comparing it to the effort it would cost.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login