Firefox PHP

Module: Last Forum Post

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: Module: Last Forum Post
May 12, 2010 06:42AM
Maurice Makaay
  • When updating the subject, there would be a race condition between the update action and a possible newer thread that is posted at the same time. That race condition could result in the new thread subject being overwritten by the updated subject from the edited thread.
I could put a lot of effort and time into designing a system that would keep the last forum message on the index page exactly in sync with updates to that message, but I frankly see no gain in doing so when comparing it to the effort it would cost.

Of course; if it's something that isn't solvable by a quick fix - and it certainly doesn't sound like that - then it's not worth the effort. I thought index.php might be dynamically generated and would simply read the current title of the latest post (mind you, this is coming from a non-programmer).

Anyhow, thanks for the module and for the explanation! :)

Cheers
May 12, 2010 09:17AM
Phorum works differently: it is designed and programmed for speed. Therefore the module does not retrieve the information on the fly on every index page request. Instead, it stores the info when a new message is posted. By doing so, not a single extra SQL query is used for showing the last post info.

Anyway, enjoy Phorum and this module!

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
June 03, 2010 03:13PM
Posts imported with the External Phorummail Module doesn't jive with this Last Forum Post module. I even modified External Phorummail to call the after_post hook (for other reasons than this).

What can I change and where can I add it so that after the email gets saved to the database, the Last Forum Post information gets updated as well (author and subject)?

Robert Angle
Phorum lover, nothing more.
Ruminations
December 12, 2010 09:45AM
Is there a way to pull the last post from a forum inside a folder on the main page ?
December 12, 2010 11:39AM
There is no option, nor a module for that. At least, if I understand your question right. Do you want to display the last post for a group of forums within a folder? If your requirement does not match what this module does, then there's no option.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
August 12, 2016 03:22PM
This module still uses ./include/format_functions.php which is deprecated in the current 3.0-dev version of Phorum.

Regards, Ulf Dunkel
August 15, 2016 10:12AM
Hi Ulf,

Ulf Dunkel
This module still uses ./include/format_functions.php which is deprecated in the current 3.0-dev version of Phorum.

"current 3.0-Dev" means branch 5.3...

format_functions.php doesn't exist in 5.3 but the included functions are automatically available via /api/deprecated.php. So as a workaround it should be sufficient to add a "@" before the include command.

Regards
Oliver

Using Phorum since 7/2000: forum.langzeittest.de (actual version 5.2.23)
Modules "Made in Germany" for version 5.2: Author_as_Sender, CarCost, Close_Topic, Conceal_Message_Timestamp,
Format_Email, Index_Structure, Mailing_List, Pervasive_Forum, Spritmonitor, Terms_of_Service and German_Language_Files_Package.
August 15, 2016 10:32AM
Thank you for the workaround, but following your recommendation, I have downgraded to 5.2.20. :)

Regards, Ulf Dunkel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login