Firefox PHP

encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2

Posted by pat 
pat
encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2
December 21, 2008 09:29PM
.Hi,

I had the same Problem as decribed here: [www.phorum.org] and applieed the same solution. I added "charset" => "utf8" to include/db/config.php - but now the Forum-Titels and descriptions are scrued up with placeholders where german special characters are appropriate. I wonder how this can be as the message-bodies are perfectly fine now ?

thanx pat



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 11:53PM by pat.
Re: encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2
December 22, 2008 12:35AM
Apparently, these have not been entered as UTF-8 data, but as ISO-8859-1. In your case, your initial database might have been ISO-8859-1. Installing an ISO-8859-1 language file and setting charset to "latin1" in the db config.php might have been a better choice. Especially if all old posts are in ISO-8859-1 too.


Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
pat
Re: encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2
December 22, 2008 09:03PM
OK,
I guess it happened while I was changing the forum over to emerald to rule-out a templating-issue responsible for the missing message-bodies. When I did the template change the descriptions and titles where newly saved (even though I didn't change them) in the db as a side-effect because they are on the same form as the template pull-down. At that time the change in config.php was not jet in place, of course.

Another thing makes me wonder though, my db and the tables are set to be utf-8, nevertheless the kollatation of the rows in the forum-tables are sometimes "latin1_swedish-ci" or "latin1_german2_ci" but all those tables where created by forum-scripts and not me - so I wonder how this can be. Wasn't utf-8 always the phorum-standard ? Can the kollotation be changed safely to be utf-8 ?

thanx
pat
Re: encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2
December 22, 2008 09:07PM
No, Phorum was ISO-8859-1 in 5.1 and probably US-ASCII before that. But, UTF-8 has become the defacto standard for the internet.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
Re: encoding problem after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.2
December 22, 2008 09:43PM
Changing the charset to UTF-8 might break some data. For now it is better to stick with the original character set. We are working on scripts and ideas to make a full UTF-8 transaction possible, but this moment it is not fully safe yet.


Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login