Firefox PHP

Installation documentation

Posted by Jackson 
Im having that problem also, i can not use a dir name of 'admin' due to the setup of my server. So i changed it to badmin and everything goes wrong.

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: db in /home/sites/site46/web/common.php on line 318

Thats what i get. Any ideas?
Re: Installation documentation
July 04, 2002 04:50AM
Waahoo...
I have to say I can't see the point of including an install.txt if it's going to be that kind of instruction.

It's exactly the opposite of the MySQL docs.

Dunno how far I'll get with Phorum....
Hi folks,

-unzipped files

-set rights for the folder admin/settings

-execute admin/index

-followed instructions in Browser

had fun!!!

nice tool

thx

André
August 31, 2002 07:37PM
I agree wholeheartedly, that the install instructions really bite.

I also believe that when someone is asking for help and states that the instructions aren't clear....coming on this board and saying "it's easy", etc. does absolutely NOTHING to help the person in need.

Now does anyone have a nice installation directions file that can be used by some who have some but limited knowledge with scripts?

Regards,
Harry
September 02, 2002 03:38PM
Use Paul's instruction's.. posted a ways up. They worked perfectly the first time for me on my FreeBSD server. I think they should be added to the install.txt file. The key is, to know your mysql root password, and then create the phorum database before trying to run the install script.
Aide"S.O.S"
September 05, 2002 01:27PM
Please i am speak french
Mon sujet de stage est la mise en place d'un servuer e-smith donc j'ai besoins de plus informations sur ce logieciel(avantage et Inconvenient)
God Bless You...
September 10, 2002 07:30PM
DITTO, I have spent about 12 hours trying to get this installed. and I have 30 years experience in programming and computers. I love the program. I would like to get it to work. I get the form up but can not log in as admin.
October 31, 2002 11:50AM
J'ai phorum 3.3.2, quels fichiers ou dossiers doivent avoir un chmod 777 ?

Merci d'avance
December 02, 2002 05:06PM
i couldn't even find a readme.txt file .. i must say, it could be easier, but i understand that writing documentation is a VERY different job from writing good code :) so maybe we are lucky - thanks thomas et al!
December 02, 2002 06:59PM
docs/install.txt should be your friend.

Let's actually help each other
December 19, 2002 10:23PM
People!

There's a bit of "smartassing" going on here.

I didn't have that much trouble installing phorum but I would agree that the install.txt file gives no basic orientation to what should be a simple task.

It is so easy to those who know that they forget to explain some simple basics.

The first major point is that there is no magic command line install script ( no ./configure; make; make install ).
There a little manual stuff followed by some web stuff.

The major steps are:
1 - extract tarball under your webserver html document root ( or link the directory where you extract the tarball into your webserver using a <Directory> section in your Apache config file

2 - Create a database in mysql by hand

3 - Go to the set up URL on your web server to finish configuration

My relatively detailed steps were:

Download tarball ( stable ) from [phorum.org] to pe2300-1

Extract tarball and move under /usr/local/apache/htdocs, the root for my html files

Create a symbolic link ln -s phorum-3.3.2c/ phorum so that I can use plain old forum as my path in the URL

chown the directory structure to user the apache process runs as ( www )
chown -R wwwvphorum-3.3.2c

Create a database phorum in the local mysql server fully accessible to phorum_user ( camphor )
mysql -uroot -p
create database phorum;
GRANT ALL ON phorum.* to phorum_user@localhost identified by 'password'
quit

Try to go to URL [pe2300-1.meritusa.net] and use web interface to complete setup

Admin account: foradmin ( **** )

admin email admin.phorum@meritusa.net ( set up alias on my mail server to forward this to my real email.

Now I need to secure certain files and folders.

Now I need to understand what a Folder is ( as opposed to a Forum )

Cheers,

Ed McGuigan
Re: Installation Documentation Tips
January 04, 2003 06:42AM
Author: Martin H (---.cache.pol.co.uk)
Date: 05-13-02 16:35

I'm trying to set up on my localhost. I've placed the entire contents of the extracted folder into a folder called phorum in my wwwroot on win2000 machine.
Then
Typed in [localhost]

This led to a message saying 'You need to go to the admin and fix your database settings. '

So I went to mySQL shell and created a db called phorum using 'create database phorum'. Then I went to admin and selected mySQL. Hitting submit leads to the message below:

Warning: fopen("./admin/settings/forums.php","w") - Permission denied in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\phorum\admin\functions.php on line 109
Could not open file ./admin/settings/forums.php. Please check the file permissions.

Anyone any ideas what I am doing wrong? Documentation would be really useful. The text file is really difficult to understand.

Many thanks

Martin

------
Guys, that exatuly what happin to me, could anybody find a way to install it... what should i do with the permissions?????
please help me
January 04, 2003 12:24PM
the message already tells what is wrong. you don't have permissions to write to admin/settings/(forums.php).

Post such questions to the support-forum and better read the text above the forum!

(thread closed)

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.