<b>Upgrade instructions from 3.2.11 to 3.3.x</b>

<b>Upgrade instructions from 3.2.11 to 3.3.x</b>
January 01, 2002 07:02AM
<HTML>Taken from a post by Neil Darlow in the Support-Forum:
###
Here is the procedure I used to upgrade from 3.2.11 to 3.3:

1) Create a dump of your existing database including schema (tables) and data
2) Import the database dump created in (1) into a new database
3) Extract the phorum 3.3 distribution to a new directory. Don't overwrite your existing 3.2.11 installation
4) Ensure the admin/settings directory is writable by the webserver
5) Ensure the admin/settings/forums.php file is writable by the webserver
6) Ensure you have database name, username and password details for the new database at hand. Test access to the database by other means if possible
7) Point your browser at [www.yourdomain]
8) Be sure to select the Upgrade checkbox on the Install screen
9) Select your database type and enter your database access information
10) Enter the Admin system and set a password for the admin user
11) Change the URL setting for your new installation to match that of the old 3.2.11 installation
12) Rename, or remove, your existing 3.2.11 installation
13) Rename the installation directory for your 3.3 installation to match the path part of the URL entered in (11)
14) Customise your global settings with the Admin menus e.g. default colours etc.

The important things to note are:

1) The version 3.3 install must use the admin/settings/forums.php file that ships with the 3.3 distribution. Don't use your existing forums.php
2) Values stored in forums.php aren't held in the database and need re-applying after the installation is completed. Things like default colours, attachment directory etc.

Using this procedure, I was able to upgrade my 3.2.11 installation to 3.3 without any problems. The hardest part was re-applying my customisations to the global settings file (forums.php). Having a printed copy of the existing version helped here.

-----------
Neil Darlow
Phorum Dev Team
###</HTML>

The above description is good for forums that don't have any attachments, but my phorum with attachments wouldn't upgrade properly with the instructions given above using the scripts included with 3.3.1a.

I noticed some errors in the upgrade script that was included with 3.3.1a, and have included these fixes into the upgrade script that should be part of the current distibution. The upgrade.php script that comes with 3.3.1a does not work for migrating attachments, get the newer copy.

Even with the most recent upgrade.php script, you'll need to follow the following extra steps before proceeding on to step 7 above.

Here's what I had to do **before** step 7 of the above instructions.

6b) move your attachments directory as a whole (including the subdirectory structure) to phorum3.3directory/forums/upload, or whatever you'll want your new attachments directory to be called

6c) edit forums/admin/settings/forum.php and set the value of $PHORUM['AttachmentDir'], to wherever your new attachments directory will be. Yes, I know that the first line in this file says "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. USE ADMIN", but the upgrade script needs to know the value of this variable before you can set it with the admin tool, so you're going to have to set it before step 7.

Make sure that you are working on a copy of your original attachments directory, since the upgrade.php script renames files in such a way that they are not usable with the old phorum. Having said that, the new Phorum also fixes a long standing problem with IE browser using the file name to determine the Content-Type, so it's worth the hassle to upgrade if you're using attachments.

If I then proceed with the installation instructions as given above, my attachments are renamed, and the appropriate attachments tables are created in the database, things worked fine for me from here.

Hope that helps....

Scott
Re: Upgrade instructions from 3.2.11 to 3.3.x forums with attachments
April 06, 2002 01:55PM
Hello,

For me I had no attachments, but in my version of phorum 3.3.2a (created the 01/28/2002) the tables of my previous forums were not updated.

The main table was updated without any problem (table forums by default).
But my tables forum1 forum2 etc... were not.

What I was able to see in my browser was the forums but not the messages.

So I dropped the field attachment in each table (not the main !!!)
and add the 2 fields below at the end of the tables:

modifystamp int(10) unsigned as index
userid int(10) unsigned as index

and now it runs perfectly.

loic

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.