Firefox PHP

Phorum and Mambo

Posted by Brian Moon 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
mod_phorum_addon.zip 1 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 01/30/2006 Read message
Phorum and Mambo
January 29, 2006 10:46PM
I have moved the Mambo talk from another thread.

I have installed Mambo and am trying to find a "how to make a component" document somewhere. I have not found it yet.

It appears that a Phorum wrapper like the example code in portable/ in the distro could be written to be a Mambo component. The portable code example basically embeds Phorum inside another script. It allows for custom URLs, external DB settings, wrapping the admin - all the things you need to make Phorum a Mambo component.

I just can't find how to make a component.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
Re: Phorum and Mambo
January 30, 2006 12:30AM
Here is a link to a Wizard that you can run and it will generate a dummy component, modules base on your specification then you can fill in your code to do something.

[mamboforge.net]

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

[opensourceCMS.com]
[ongetc.com]
Chanh Ong
January 30, 2006 01:03AM
=( It crashes under wine. I don't use Windows unless I have to. And I don't have access to a windows box at the moment.

January 30, 2006 03:00AM
I tried the wizard and unfortunately it does not deliver very much code for developing a mod. It does deliver the xml module description and a completely empty mod php file. On itself, I think this does not tell us how a Mambo addon should be written.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Attachments:
open | download - mod_phorum_addon.zip (1 KB)
January 30, 2006 10:42AM
Actually you can just look at these files in the zip file to see the sample for component and module.

*** component ***
- component code that run at the backend
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\admin.{project_name}.html.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\admin.{project_name}.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\class.{project_name}.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\toolbar.{project_name}.html.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\toolbar.{project_name}.php

- Will be use and run by the Mambo installer
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\uninstall.{project_name}.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\install.{project_name}.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\{project_name}.xml

- component code that run at the frontend
F:\temp\Release\Templates\com_template1\{project_name}.php

*** Module ***
F:\temp\Release\Templates\mod_template1\mod_{project_name}.php
F:\temp\Release\Templates\mod_template1\mod_{project_name}.xml

The component is a complete application run embeded in Mambo. The module is a sinppet of code that will be display as a block of the page.

So in your module file that you create you can put any php code in there and it will be run by Mambo and display in the block position whether it is on the left, right, top, botton, etc.

It goes the same with the component but it also has the backend admin complete with toolbar, menu, etc

Here is the direct link to download SimpleBoard component for you to take a look so that I can gain some understanding on how a component is written in Mambo.
[mamboforge.net]

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

[opensourceCMS.com]
[ongetc.com]
Chanh Ong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2006 10:57AM by chanh.
January 30, 2006 11:47AM
I see how you would fit content into a block on the page, but what is really interesting is the part of user authentication. To make Mambo the master regarding Phorum users, there has to be a mechanism to join the two. That is about the same kind of integration that I need with my own website's backend.

I'm not going to write the Mambo integration BTW. I'm not sure if that was clear. I am very interested though in all integration projects and will try to help where possible.

What I plan to do for my own site is:

- write a synchonization library within forum (based on Brian's scripts so far). At least for synchronizing from a master application to the Phorum database, but I also want to think if it's easy possible to arrange for synchronizing from Phorum to the master (e.g. to be able to configure forum options from within and outside Phorum, while keeping them in sync).

- write software in my system that uses this library to sync users

- write a mod that will disable some of the user functions at application level (like registering, changing passwords, etc.) to make my own db the real master. User functions that are specific for Phorum (private messaging, some forum settings, etc.) will be kept intact.

- build an updated templateset that has the user functions also disabled at template level.

I think this kind of setup could function for all software where you want to embed Phorum into. If you have additional ideas or concerns, please let me know. I might be easily overlooking something here.

For the other devs:
We might think about having some statements in the templates which you can use to disable functionality which is performed a the master system. Or have a separate template for this (but that requires extra maintenance, because changes have to be made in multiple template sets).

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 30, 2006 11:53AM
mmakaay
For the other devs:
We might think about having some statements in the templates which you can use to disable functionality which is performed a the master system. Or have a separate template for this (but that requires extra maintenance, because changes have to be made in multiple template sets).

IMO, if we start doing this, we may as well suck the HTML back into the PHP and forget templates. The standard template is already way more complicated than I envisioned 3 years ago.

January 30, 2006 12:07PM
Then I'll simply keep it a separate template, with deleted functionality. Apart from the maintenance aspect, I have to problems with it.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 30, 2006 12:45PM
It really is better if you set up one program as the master and only do changes in that program and then propagate the changes to the other programs. If you allow major changes from the phorum program, you would need a custom program for every different master program. If there are any special restrictions in the main program, they would also have to be added to the phorum code.

For disabling some functions, you might be better off modifying one of the rewrite modules to point to the master program URLs, rather than trying to disable phorum programs (template changes also disable the functions - at least for people who don't type in their own URLs).

The template changes are one of the things that do need to be changed. Since one is doing some fairly significant integration, most people are probably doing significant template changes anyway. One thing that would help would be a list of the templates that need to be changed to reduce functionality (ie all templates that allow login/logout, registration, etc.).
January 30, 2006 01:35PM
mmakaay
I'm not going to write the Mambo integration BTW. I'm not sure if that was clear. I am very interested though in all integration projects and will try to help where possible.

It is too bad that you are not going to do it. I was hoping that we could collaborate on this project.

I will move on!

Thanks

[opensourceCMS.com]
[ongetc.com]
Chanh Ong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login