Firefox PHP

Feature Request: Ignore List

Posted by rheo 
Feature Request: Ignore List
June 03, 2004 11:48PM

Is this something that has been requested very much?

I have a few people on my boards that I know the majority would rather not listen to.

Re: Feature Request: Ignore List
June 04, 2004 01:09AM
Not really, no. What ends up happening is you see replies but not what they're replying to, which leads to problems when things get taken out of context (or you have to turn off ignore to figure out what the person was talking about).

Its probably doable with a module that uses a custom field to store the list of banned userids in a users profile.
June 04, 2004 04:47AM

not concerned with seeing people replying to imaginary posts. i believe eventually the people doing the replying would just hit ignore as well.

or perhaps the user could also be told that there are missing posts due to the ignore list.

is it better for a module to just use it's own table than a custom field in the user table?

June 04, 2004 10:35AM
for your own table you need your own database-functions, for custom-fields you can use phorum's functions.
Just "clear" the posts by ignored users, i.e. empty the subjects / bodies in the output.

if you would remove them completely it would break the data-structures.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
June 04, 2004 10:42AM

yes.. that makes sense..

or else replace them with the word "quack".. ;-)

or maybe a way for users to customize it for each person they want to ignore.

"quack" "oink" "cluck"

hmm..
June 04, 2004 10:43AM
you can do all this in the mod ... even configurable through the admin ;-).

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
June 09, 2004 09:23PM

if anyone thinks this is a particularly good idea and jumps on it please let me know.

not sure when i will get to it yet.
June 11, 2004 12:09AM

can i add this with the Add A Profile Field funtion in the admin?

the only problem I can see with doing this as one field in the user table instead of using an independent table is data availability.

For instance how can I find out haw many people are ignoring a certain user if it is in the profile table?

or who is the most ignored user?

June 11, 2004 12:52AM
Run a query that grabs all the users. Deserialize the extra information field to get these values, then add them up in PHP.

Its entirely doable if you store the values in the users profile instead of a seperate table, just a bit more work on the part of the coder. But IMHO, it'd be far less work then dealing with the problems that come along with creating extra tables.
June 11, 2004 12:58AM

can i add this with the Add A Profile Field function in the admin?

i've never used it.. is that what this is for?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login