Firefox PHP

Mail to previous author

Posted by mm 
mm
Mail to previous author
December 19, 2009 11:27AM
Hello

I am searching for a hack/mod that sends an email to the poster of the previous post in the tree if someone writes a reply to his post. We are hoping that the people have the possibility to answer much faster if they are getting emails.

Thank you for your help,
Max
Re: Mail to previous author
December 19, 2009 11:37AM
whats wrong with the subscription functionality right now?

Thomas Seifert
December 19, 2009 02:18PM
Thomas Seifert
whats wrong with the subscription functionality right now?

The problem with it is that the default is not to follow a topic nor email replies on request. The default follow topic setting is to do nothing at all. I think most other forums send you emails when you are replied to as the default setting.

This module takes care of setting the default to send emails on reply. It is set when a new user registers. All existing members will have to be updated by hand....

Here...
[www.phorum.org]

-- Bob
December 19, 2009 08:36PM
Not having it set as a default should really not be described as a problem. In fact, I find it most preferable to not do that. When I subscribe to any kind of website, I can get terribly annoyed by mail flooding that started without me opting in for it. Of course, as a webmaster you are trying to get people back to your site, but as a user I prefer if you stop pushing ;-)

Luckily, people have personal taste and Phorum is flexible enough to tweak it to your likings. See the module that Bob linked.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
December 19, 2009 10:21PM
Maurice Makaay
Not having it set as a default should really not be described as a problem. In fact, I find it most preferable to not do that. When I subscribe to any kind of website, I can get terribly annoyed by mail flooding that started without me opting in for it. Of course, as a webmaster you are trying to get people back to your site, but as a user I prefer if you stop pushing ;-)

Fair point Maurice :-)

On a few sites to which I am a member, they use vBulletin (go figure, eh?). One thing that I like is that when you are following a topic, only one email is sent to you. The email will even say that there may be other replies to that thread, but only this one email is being sent to you this one time to cut down on mail cluttering up your inbox.

It reads...

vBulletin topic reply notification
Dismal_Bliss has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "The Doctor Is In".

The topic can be found here:
{Link removed}

There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is
to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Could that kind of functionality be built into Phorum as well?

- Bob
December 20, 2009 05:42AM
we decided against that because of lots of additional load.
maybe there will be a module for that in a while as I'm tempted for that functionality too.

Thomas Seifert
December 20, 2009 06:51AM
One other reason that we had for voting against that, was that it is possible for the admin to include the message body in the mail. When doing that, it does make sense to send every message, so the user won't have to login into the forum for reading all posted messages.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
mm
December 20, 2009 02:14PM
The functionality that sends just one email per topic after a single visit is the kind of thing we are searching. The problem is as Maurice described that there is very high mail income for everyone using the forum when using the linked plugin. So getting only the mails for direct replies would reduce the mailbox traffic per user. Would a mod be very complicated?
December 20, 2009 02:51PM
Possibly not. The mod should hook into the mail handling to remove recipients that should not retrieve the message. Those recipients can be administered by keeping track of them in the meta data of the thread starter message. After sending a message, a flag could be set in the meta data. After visiting the thread, the flag could be removed.

Not extremely simple, but definitely not very complicated.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
mm
December 20, 2009 05:06PM
Oh, so i will read into the phorum source code and try to develop the modification :) If I am successfull I will post it here.

Sorry for my bad english ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login