Firefox PHP

Ability to Edit posts has disappeared

Posted by trevmar 
Ability to Edit posts has disappeared
August 10, 2005 07:55PM
I have an old version of Phorum 3 which I heavily customized in 2003 in order to provide an Open Peer Review Medical Journal at JOIMR.org

I haven't done anything to the website for ever so long (a year or so) and I just found out that the Admin account (or, indeed, the owner of the post) can no longer edit a post. New posts are posted OK, and Admin can delete them, but any attempt to edit a message does nothing. No harm to database, but no changes are saved either. Original message remains the same.

I set MySQL privileges to (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, REFERENCES, ALTER, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES) and I have never changed this from 2003.

The server's host is still running Apache v1, but they have upgraded SQL and Apache versions during the past year. Can anybody suggest where I could start looking to fix this?

Sincerely
trevor
Re: Ability to Edit posts has disappeared
August 13, 2005 03:52AM
what happens if you submit the edit-form? nothing? success-message?

Thomas Seifert
August 13, 2005 04:08AM
When I change the text and then submit the form I see the original message, just as I would expect, except that there has been no change to the original. This happens whether I use the Admin account to do the edit, or post as a user, and then edit my own post as a user. I can post new messages, delete (haven't tried a move) but can't modify a message text with 'edit' any more.

You could try this by posting a test message on one of the inactive boards at URL
[www.joimr.org]

I have done nothing to the code for as long as I remember, so I am assuming it was a version change in Apache (which is still v1) and/or MySQL. Oh, I guess it could be a PHP version problem, too...

Thanks for any clues you might be able to share. I just don't have the time to upgrade the Phorum right now, but the papers which are already online are pretty important to keep online, as they have been cross-refernced quite a bit recently...

Trevor
August 13, 2005 04:10AM
could you post the exact versions of mysql and php this is running now?
Oh and as you tell about phorum3 since 2003, which exact phorum-version is it?

Thomas Seifert
August 13, 2005 06:57AM

The phorum version is 3.4.2
PHP version: 4.3.11
MYSQL version: 4.0.24

Sincerely
Trevor
October 22, 2005 10:08AM
OK, I fixed it.

I used the variable $i as an index in some RSS code I added to header.php

Of course this messed up the database index called $i in edit.php

Sorry to bother you

..trevor..
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.