Extending phorum to a CMS

Posted by orinoco 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
phorum-cms.tar.gz 9 KB open | download orinoco 07/27/2005 Read message
Extending phorum to a CMS
June 14, 2005 02:24PM
Hi,

has anyone tried to extend phorum to a CMS-like system?
e.g. a news service page based on start postings of a forum, listing the headlines, a content summary and a link to the full posting and its comments/replies.

Or is there any existing CMS that cooperates with phorum?

I'm trying to imitate newstickers+forum like heise.de

regards

Orinoco
Re: Extending phorum to a CMS
June 14, 2005 09:30PM
I made a hack years ago to put a message into my news database, then my newsscript would pull the messageurl to the news item.

I have tried different "latest threads/messages" scripts and they can be easily customized to have anykind of info.

But that's not turning Phorum into a cms, it's combining Phorum to a cms like system.

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
July 19, 2005 02:29PM
something waits for me
my plan is use any cms system works with my language
and create one pforum for every article like discussion (maybe manualy)
and let users create own disscusions independent from articles
but i still did not start really
(probably i do not need more "submitters" to cms so no problem with one cms-only admin account = do not need unite user databases)
July 20, 2005 02:19PM
definatly this would be a great addition
im playing about with drupal but all i need is in phorum,
unfortunatly i cant code php!

what im thinking is an additional checkbox for moderators
to make a phorum post also into a news article

all news articles would show up on the front of the site
with a [more] link for the full text and a [comments] link showing
the number of replies, as in all cms systems

if someone could make this it would be brilliant!
July 26, 2005 01:19PM
Hi everyone interested in additional CMS-functions for phorum,

my basic concept is to turn the parent postings of a phorum forum into somekind of enhanced multipurpose article list. This way you have a CMS based on parent postings and you have a forum/comment function at the same time.

I have already hacked some quick&dirty function attempts for
* news/blog
* link list
* random selection
for parent postings of a phorum forum.
I modified the list.php resp. read.php files and the appropriate template files to archieve this. So far they are separate files, but I can imagine to merge them with their original file and split the functions by the RewriteEngine.

I also modfied the HTML plugin so it turns on HTML only for parent postings of a thread.
So together with the user management for "starting threads" you can set up a group of authors who can write HTML enhanced articles by simply starting a thread. Normal users are only allowed to comment on an article.

I'm also trying to give articles/parent postings a "real" name so you can link to them e.g. www.example.com/phorum/article-about-something-important.php
I'm experimenting with an extra database, the apache rewrite engine, individual tags inside the article body and an extra field in the database table "phorum_messages".
This is important to put links with meaning and get recognized with articles in search engines.

If anyone got hints, tips or ideas how to improve, please post here.

I'm developing a web page to test my concept. I will announce it here as soon as it is online, so you can have a look at my tries.

regards

orinoco
July 26, 2005 03:50PM
just comment to yours:

I also modfied the HTML plugin so it turns on HTML only for parent postings of a thread.
So together with the user management for "starting threads" you can set up a group of authors who can write HTML enhanced articles by simply starting a thread. Normal users are only allowed to comment on an article.

-> it should be forum parameters (html - all, first only, noone; user can start new thread - yes, no) so still can have one forum directory for articles and another one for free discussion (and maybe one for short uncommented news)
(seems to me now is html global one only)

(anyway i will probably stay in independent cms and independent forum linked by link at end of article (maybe one day with number of comments) and link into first forum message (or one day maybe with article embeded into it))

see too [phorum.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2005 03:53PM by real name.
July 27, 2005 08:22PM
real name Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just comment to yours:
> I also modfied the HTML plugin so it turns on HTML
> only for parent postings of a thread.
> -> it should be forum parameters (html - all,
> first only, noone; user can start new thread -
> yes, no) so still can have one forum directory for
> articles and another one for free discussion (and
> maybe one for short uncommented news)
> (seems to me now is html global one only)

Yep. I modified the HTML plugin so you can add single forum numbers to
$htmlforums or $htmlparentonlyforums. So far without a settings.php admin page, only inside the html.php

I also succeeded to create an alias database for "real" names for postings.
You just have to add a special <fname filename.php> tag inside the message body and a script extracts these tags from the body and connects them with the forum_id and the message_id in a text file. The RewriteEngine redirect all non-existing filenames to page.php which modifies the $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] according to this text database.

You can have a look at my project page at demokratie.mine.nu. Don't mind the german language. I attached the modified php files (modified template files not included)
Attachments:
open | download - phorum-cms.tar.gz (9 KB)
July 29, 2005 10:55AM

this sounds like something similar to what i am doing however I am doing it from scratch with my own system.

I base my system closer to the www.tribe.net system where my users can connect to each other to form networks. Later they will be able to add "tribes" of their own and each "tribe" will have it's own discussion forum with the creator being the moderator for that tribe.

If you wanted to go with a more standard CMS system like Mambo or Nuke or Drupal or something making Phorum work with it shouldn't be incredibly difficult.

I managed to do this by creating a module that basically faked the login to Phorum based on information from my own User table.

There is info about it in the "Using your own authentication" thread over in the Modules forum.

peace

August 11, 2005 03:46PM
rheo Wrote:
[...]
> I base my system closer to the www.tribe.net
> system where my users can connect to each other to
> form networks. Later they will be able to add
> "tribes" of their own and each "tribe" will have
> it's own discussion forum with the creator being
> the moderator for that tribe.

Hm, doesn't phorum offer this function with its user/groups management?

> If you wanted to go with a more standard CMS
> system like Mambo or Nuke or Drupal or something
> making Phorum work with it shouldn't be incredibly
> difficult. [...]

Yes, you can use one user management, but common CMS are too dominant.
They make phorum (and other forum software) look like the fifth wheel of the car.
For me it's important to have a seamless connection between the forums and the other CMS functions. The way users post in the forum, the same way they can contribute to the website.

BTW I also managed to create multiple websites with just one phorum installation. Advantages are obvious: you just need to take care of one installation instead of many. Of course works only on one server. If anyone interested how to do that let me know here

regards

orinoco
November 17, 2005 07:08AM
I would advice you take a look at Absolut Engine. Its a simple CMS with endless possibilities and could be easily merged with Phorum without loosing the possibility in design and flexibility etc.

Sergej

------------------------------------------
^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login