Firefox PHP

Embedding phorum in a web site

Posted by icaki 
Embedding phorum in a web site
March 23, 2005 10:49AM
Hi,
I want to fully integrate phorum in my website. Could you give me some advices what is the way to go? I will be glad if I can save some evenings of research. :)
Re: Embedding phorum in a web site
March 23, 2005 10:57AM
Hm, perhaps I had to read the FAQ first. Ok, It seems like the best approach will be to read the provided documentation. If anyone thinks that there is worth something additional, please be welcome.
March 23, 2005 11:06AM
yeah something additional, use the search!

Thomas Seifert
March 24, 2005 11:33AM
With all my respect ts77, I don't really think you're supporting your community. I have looked around and such one line answers are predominant and not telling much. I appreciate the nice piece of work that the Phorum dev team did but a little bit more friendliness and support won't hurt!! For sure!
Here is what another user said and I have the same questions, although they are still unanswered from you and other dev members:

Re: Embeding phorum into my website
Posted by: tom123 (IP Logged)
Date: March 2, 2005 03:55PM

Hallo,
Sazaraki:
i have tried iframe, but while the length varies - it is not really good.

Also changing header and footer - is not the thing I need. While the are lots of things in my website, it is associated with databases, I would like to use phorum in existing template.

Panu:
I have searched a lot, now :) Really lots of people are asking the same question. After searching various words - I have found lots of questions, but actually I could not find answers for me.

"I understand, that it is very boring answering simple questions, lots of times, but maybe it would be possible to make one and the last time more detailed explanation and maybe add it to FAQ."

I completely stand behind that!

"1. From portable directory, which php should I include in my template after {if $s0_data.SECTION_NAME eq 'forumas'}
2. Where should I install phorum_admin.php and phorum_install.php
3. My website is www.medicus.lt. I installed phorum in directory /phorum. How should look CUSTOM_QUERY_STRING, and server query string?
4. after i update phorum_setings.php, what more i have to do?

I believe detailed instruction would help for more people,
Thank You in advance
Tomas"

Sorry but solutions with iframe are simply not acceptable when we have a template based site!

Thanks and hope you can really help me.
March 24, 2005 12:04PM
> Sorry but solutions with iframe are simply not acceptable when we have a template based site!

yeah, and thats why we didn't ever tell to use iframes but use the portable-code instead.

> I don't really think you're supporting your community.

thank you very much. I'm spending hours after hours to answer the same questions over and over again to people which either don't read previous posts or don't ever used the search to search for their problems *before* asking.

Thomas Seifert
March 24, 2005 06:28PM
icaki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all my respect ts77, I don't really think
> you're supporting your community. I have looked
> around and such one line answers are predominant
> and not telling much. I appreciate the nice piece
> of work that the Phorum dev team did but a little
> bit more friendliness and support won't hurt!! For
> sure!

I'm quilty of one liners too, not because im evil or think someone is stupid etc. but because some questions just pop up over and over again it's no easy to be supportive and be "I wanna hold your hand" type of person to everyone over and over.

And accusing Thomas not to be supportive is a little overkill Imo, coding this stuff alone would suffice of being supportive yet he answers countless of questions here and propably does something that isn't visible here on the forums too.

> "I understand, that it is very boring answering
> simple questions, lots of times, but maybe it
> would be possible to make one and the last time
> more detailed explanation and maybe add it to
> FAQ."

I looked at the portable directory and the faq first time 5 minutes ago (hmm how I've managed to get by so far... =:-| So if this is BS feel free to correct me.

There's not much to do:

- copy the portable directory somewhere
- change db and other credentials in phorum_settings.php
- open phorum_admin.php in your browser and set up your phorum
- include phorum.php in your script

> "1. From portable directory, which php should I
> include in my template after {if
> $s0_data.SECTION_NAME eq 'forumas'}

phorum.php

> 2. Where should I install phorum_admin.php and
> phorum_install.php

wherever you want

> 3. My website is www.medicus.lt. I installed
> phorum in directory /phorum. How should look
> CUSTOM_QUERY_STRING, and server query string?

you don't change them, you set $PHORUM_DIR="/www/dev.phorum/phorum5"; to reflect your phprum installation

> 4. after i update phorum_setings.php, what more i
> have to do?

include phorum.php in your script/template and configure your phorum with phorum_admin.php

> I believe detailed instruction would help for more
> people,

Well there are different needs and solutions, asking specific questions usually gets more detailed answers.

> Sorry but solutions with iframe are simply not
> acceptable when we have a template based site!

no they aren't, noone has suggested using them, afair Brian and Thomas have said the exact opposite. It can be done but it's usually not the best solution.

> Thanks and hope you can really help me.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, I'll edit this post to reflect reality if needed so a direct link is easier to give next time someone asks how to embed phorum in their site...

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
March 25, 2005 09:30AM
Hi,
That's all I want. You see, it doesn't hurt :). and of course my last words were a little bit too far. I should say I was affected from what I've found and the bored one line answers.

One constructive suggestion!
As there are plenty of forums out there, the main reason I stopped here - phorum.org - is that you provide easy integration into a site. At least that's what I've heard. So maybe some general instructions and ideas (and/or direct references to the docu) of doing this should be inserted in the FAQ. That's actually meant by the previous guy too.

Off topic:
From what I've seen up to now, you seem to write a really good and robust code. Respect!
Keep the good work and don't kick the boring users too much. :)
March 27, 2005 08:04AM
I am stuck a little bit. As my site is running itself with templates, all I want is to get the forum content part parsed in a template variable in my site (btw. I am using PHPlib). For this I have to somehow buffer the complete forum output and get it in a string. Could you give me some advice?

My site is structured with one index.php entry and from there calls to my classes. Every invoked class method is parsing a template in a {CONTENT} variable. Then the index.php ends with a parse_site() finction which completes the site - parses additional header, footer and other templates. So the solution for me is to get the output of phorum into a string and then parse the string into my {CONTENT} variable. Then I obviously have to take care of the URLs and fix search issues, image issues etc. I really need help about this parsing into a string thingy.

And I really read at least 99% of your posts and suggestions but none of them works for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2005 01:01PM by icaki.
March 27, 2005 03:03PM
Using smarty myself and with that it's a little easier. Have you checked if you can insert php into phplib template like with Smarty? ... I quess not, at least I didn't find any mention in the manual

I quess you have to hack phorum itself to have a "fetch" kind of functionality.

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
March 27, 2005 05:27PM
d**ned, that will be quite an overhead for me. I hate these iframe solutions, so amateur like :(. As the site which I implemented, should be really fast I prefered to have phplib, but may be I didn't save as much as I thought.

And I guess with iframe I have to make a P3P, so that browsers don't block cookies under normal security settings.

Could you lead me in trying to hack phorum the way I need it? Still keeping some hope for being able to integrate it the real way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login