Firefox PHP

converting phpnuke to phorum5

Posted by irob 
converting phpnuke to phorum5
November 23, 2004 05:35PM
Hi,

I am so thrilled if you see any chance for this following thing and I want to thank you very much if you have any suggestion to solve this.

Well, onto one private project, there is phpnuke 6.8 and I feel sick now of this nuke because this makes so much stress to my server with all the comments. With my experience of phorum3 - which is great - I see only one solution: If I do not want to burn out the next one server, I have only one chance: I have to change from phpnuke to phorum5. I would not be a problem for me, if I have first to change from phpnuke to phorum3, and then to convert phorum3 to phorum5.

More details:

nuke_comments 40.568 MyISAM 18,5 MB
nuke_users 5.991 MyISAM 1,2 MB
etc.

Or with other words: there are 40568 comments of 5991 users. I would like to convert these comments into phorum5.

The next thing is: These comments belongs to

nuke_stories 10.114 MyISAM 10,7 MB

The other things, download-area, graphic-galery and whatever can be ignored. I already made this all new.

But I do not want to loose the comments and the users. It is surely no problem, if a user has to generate a new password. It would be just "only" nice, if the comments to the stories will be able to stay together.

The comments of nuke have something in common with phorum3: If a user post a comment because of a story, then you can also reply a comment. This is saved also as a comment and you can see a thread-tree there (like phorum3). Instead of "comment", you an also call it "forum", I think so.

Do you have any ideas how it is possible to convert phpnuke-comments to phorum5? If you need more technical datas or infos, no problem. Let me know it before I post too much here. :-)

Thank you very much.
Re: converting phpnuke to phorum5
November 23, 2004 06:57PM
It should be entirely doable, since effectively nuke has posts that are either thread starters (stories) or replies (comments).

What you would want to do is take the Phorum 3 to 5 conversion script, and create a new input component so that it can recognize nuke data. The converter will handle the part involving putting the data into Phorum 5 for you, you simply need to tell it how to set the data up from Nuke.
November 28, 2004 06:52AM
Hi Tridus,

Tridus Wrote:
> It should be entirely doable, since effectively
> nuke has posts that are either thread starters
> (stories) or replies (comments).

Yeah, there are many things very simular. Maybe I consider too much, maybe I stand on the cable, no idea. I only know, that there must be a way. Nuke seems only to use other name of variables than phorum3 or phorum5, thats all. Nuke-Comments have parents, child, childrens and so on, like phorum5.

> What you would want to do is take the Phorum 3 to
> 5 conversion script, and create a new input
> component so that it can recognize nuke data. The
> converter will handle the part involving putting
> the data into Phorum 5 for you, you simply need to
> tell it how to set the data up from Nuke.

OH, this is a very good idea. Thank you very much. I will try it now and let you know more about it then. It will be very thrilled. :-)
May 07, 2005 08:36AM
Coming back to this theme, I must let you know, that there is still no way to convert phpnuke2phorum5. Tridus got a development-server with own IP-number, access-datas and all what he needs.

But I waited since November 2004 for such a easy converting-script. Some days before christmas in December 2004, Tridus told me, that he hadn't the time for it and he will try it after christmas. Now we have May 2005. The complete phpnuke-forum is stopped since November 2004. We cannot continue with our wonderful discussion.

Some days ago, Tridus told me, that he won't have time to write such a converter. Of course, payment would not be a problem.

Is anyone else interested in making a converter, who can convert a phpnuke-discussion to phorum-discussions? I would also pay for it. And after it, the script can be posted here for free, so everybody can download the script for free.

I only have a wish: Please, do not say that you wil make it and then you let us stay here as idiots for another 7 months. If you are really interested in making this, then let me know it. Thank you very much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login