Firefox PHP

Poll Module

Posted by arlo 
Re: Poll Module
July 29, 2004 01:41PM
A few comments on a great job.

1. This feature exists in other BB apps. Did you or have you looked at those to see how they work? While I am not big on doing everything "like everyone", some times it is best to just copy a proven working method.

2. What may be more flexible is a text area entry for the questions. You would have to put them one per line and have wrapping off. Polls could have more than 15 questions then. That would be really confusing to noobs though. Of course, what good poll would have +15 questions?

3. I had envisioned when thinking about the module in the past an extension to the bbcode module for creating polls. Example: (replacing { with [ of course)

{POLL}
{QUESTION}Is this a good poll?{/QUESTION}
{ANSWER}Yes{/ANSWER}
{ANSWER}No{/ANSWER}
{/POLL}

Of course, this could be really confusing to noobs.

Just random thoughts.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
July 29, 2004 05:17PM
re: 3. Livejournal uses this method, and it resulted in them also having to create a page that acts as a poll creation wizard where people can type in the questions and answers, and have it generate the code.

A nice interface where people can just type stuff in has a definite advantage in terms of usability.
July 29, 2004 06:51PM
Great job with your module, I just might be using it. One thing that I did think of (since I'm in an improve-phorum stint), would be a link to view poll results without voting.

Sometimes I don't want to vote in a poll, or something prevents me from doing so, but I want to see the results.

Anyway, great job.

--Matthew
August 13, 2004 06:20PM
I think I found a bug in this. If you have polls set to moderator only, regular users still see the "new poll" link, even though they can't create a poll. (non logged in users do not show this problem)

It would be nice if NEWPOLLURL was only set if the user can actually create a poll.
awi
August 19, 2004 07:19PM
Excelent module!
One suggestion, for future versions: mark with some special bullet (maybe a class in the CSS) the threads that are polls, in the list.
August 20, 2004 07:26AM
Hi,

i've downloaded poll.zip today and installed it on the newest cvs.

I can vote, it works fine. The votes are counted, but i see no grafic bar. Why? Have i missed something?

Regards, Stoebi

Fixed. Sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2004 03:21PM by Stoebi.
August 21, 2004 05:24AM
**** NEW VERSION ****

Poll Module v0.2

Improvements:

- added cancel button so that you can discard your vote and vote again (thanks Tridus)
- added link to view results without voting (thanks Matthew)
- bug fix: only people who are allowed to create polls will see the New Poll link (thanks Tridus)

Try it out:
[www.alouie.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2004 05:29AM by arlo.
Attachments:
open | download - poll.zip (5.5 KB)
pat
localise Poll Module
August 21, 2004 06:38PM
Hi,
I would like to localise this module, but rather than changing the "hardcoded" english bits I would like to modify the whole thing to work with an lang-file, that lives in the Poll-Module-Folder. I'd like to do it just the way phorum as a whole is doing it - with an array that is called in the script. I would also like it to check wich lang is used in phorum and than pic that lang for the module aswell.

Anything that stands in the way? How would you aproach this task?

thanx
pat
August 21, 2004 09:16PM

3. Add a New Poll link to your templates.

For example, you could add the following line to list.tpl, read.tpl,
and others:

{IF NEWPOLLURL}<a class="PhorumNavLink" href="{NEWPOLLURL}">New Poll</a>{/IF}

Do you have any examples or tips on where to add this for the list and read template files?
Re: localise Poll Module
August 22, 2004 02:07AM
pat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I would like to localise this module, but rather
> than changing the "hardcoded" english bits I would
> like to modify the whole thing to work with an
> lang-file, that lives in the Poll-Module-Folder.
> I'd like to do it just the way phorum as a whole
> is doing it - with an array that is called in the
> script. I would also like it to check wich lang is
> used in phorum and than pic that lang for the
> module aswell.
>
> Anything that stands in the way? How would you
> aproach this task?

Yeah, I don't like how the strings are hardcoded either... localization would be great. I don't know the best way to approach it, though. You might want to try posting a general question about module localization in the dev forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login