Firefox PHP

An option for registered users to post anonymously?

Posted by hkbb 
Re: An option for registered users to post anonymously?
July 15, 2004 03:49AM
Well, the user_id of the poster is stored in the metadata, so you could make some logic to display it somewhere if the current user is a moderator.

You can check that with phorum_user_access_allowed(PHORUM_USER_ALLOW_MODERATE_MESSAGES); if memory serves me correctly, the constant is in includes/constants.php
July 15, 2004 04:01AM
Just took a look at the 'phorum_messages' table. most meta fields are EMPTY while some fields having something like the following:

----------------
a:2:{s:11:"recent_post";a:3:{s:7:"user_id";s:1:"1";s:6:"author";s:4:"myname";s:10:"message_id";s:2:"35";}s:11:"message_ids";a:1:{i:0;i:35;}}
----------------

So seems that I can't reliably use this field for digging the user_id...
July 15, 2004 04:30AM
You can if you set it in the module.
July 15, 2004 09:48AM
hkbb, what you've seen in the metadata is the "recent_post"-info we store ONLY in the first message of a thread. its something different from Tridus's suggestions using another module to store the user_id.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
July 15, 2004 12:13PM
Thanks.

How do I insert values into meta field? And also how do I retrieve it?

Sorry, my PHP knowledge is quite outdated.
July 15, 2004 02:49PM
OKIE. I Know how to insert/retrieve meta values now. Thanks.
July 19, 2004 05:40PM

There is a module (or was it a hack?) someone made to allow users to make up as many names as they want and choose from one of those with every post.
June 03, 2005 10:57PM
Did anybody come up with a solution to this?

Or any module I could download to have a user logged in, but still able to post under a different name if he wanted to?
February 07, 2006 08:16PM
Similar problem here. I got a module from mmakaay (thank you!) so that only AOL users can register on my board (since it's an AOL RPG). Also to prevent non-AOL users from posting, one has to be registered to post on the board. Unfortunately this also creates a dilemna for some of the registered users that wish to post certain things anonymously.

-------------------------------------------

"Everything we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." -Edgar Allan Poe
February 07, 2006 08:32PM
Posting under a different name would not make you post anonymously. I guess that the hack/mod that's being talked about only takes care of changing the posting's author field to an alternative value. But next to the author name, the user_id will always be stored and that one is unique for each user. Clicking on the name in the posting would also link to the user that has posted the message, using this user_id.

So we're talking about two different things here.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login