Firefox PHP

Suggestion

Posted by Steel Rat 
Suggestion
February 24, 2006 12:04AM
I mentioned this in another topic, but here it is as an official suggestion.

For those who are writing Modules and Hacks:

Trying to find the latest version of a module or hack is extremely difficult and time consuming because no one (that I've seen) is keeping the first post in the topic updated with the latest information and download links to the latest version of the module or hack. So, one has to read through the entire topic, sometimes 10+ pages, just to find there ISN'T an update. My suggestion is a common practice on other such forums all over the web, would be nice if these forums could follow suit. Users would be much better served, IMHO.

Thanks!

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
Re: Suggestion
February 24, 2006 03:40AM
I do that for all my modules in the forum too. It's good practice and I started doing it because I had the same problem as you: not being able to find the right files in the thread. I didn't want to send other people on a search mission when they wanted to use my mods.

The reason why there are quite some threads in which this practice is not followed, is that the previous version of Phorum did not allow for Attachment updates. With 5.1 this has changed and people can actually update their attachments in a post. So I see it mainly as historical luggage. What also works against this is collaboration. If user [x] posts the first post and I build an updated version of the mod, I cannot update the first post in the thread.

A solution that I have been thinking about for a while, is creating a special template that will include a file listing for the whole thread. That listing could contain a list of all attachments, sorted by date, so you can easily find the files that are available. If this is available, then finding the last release files should be much easier.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
February 24, 2006 07:53AM
I found this so annoying I chose to host all my modules on my own site - that way the download always links to the latest version.

Maurice, the file list template idea is inspired.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
February 24, 2006 01:13PM
Most of the places I've been the downloads are never attachments, but links to hosted files, either on the same site or another site. I also mentioned that before as an easy way around the attachment problem. But I see your point, Maurice.

As for offshoots or corrections to the mod, I think either a new thread or getting the original author to update the thread is a better idea.

But I'm glad it's not just me! ;)

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login