Firefox PHP

Non-graphical CAPTCHA when posting

Posted by sheik 
Re: Non-graphical CAPTCHA when posting
June 08, 2006 07:56PM
jyhes
hello,

"There are no settings for this module"
My post_captcha_tmp directorie is on 777.
This has nothing to do with your post_captcha_tmp directory.

Do you have a folder called phorum/mods/post_captcha, containing info.txt, settings.php and post_captcha.php?

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
June 09, 2006 05:15AM
Hello,

I've a folder called phorum/mods/captcha with these files.
I've renamed it as you say : phorum/mods/post_captcha,
and now I can update settings ! Thanks, only a folder name pbl...

Jyhes
August 10, 2006 12:09PM
Does this captcha work with Phorum 5.1.15??? I have installed everything and added the requested line to post_form.tbl but it does not work. Is post_form.tbl the correct file to add while worling woth 5.1.15??

Adding to mods worked fine, but there is no change in the form and there is no captcha question while posting a text.

Any help would be great

regards
Norbert
www.NPX-Photo.com
August 29, 2006 08:41PM
I just posted my Spam Hurdles module, which implement multiple types of CAPTCHA. Maybe you can try out that new module.

@sheik: If you like, I can pick up this type of CAPTCHA and add it to the Spam Hurdles mod.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
September 10, 2006 07:59PM
I think I would prefer the graphical version. Seems more secure.
September 10, 2006 08:45PM
"Seems" is probably exactly the right word to use here.

How effective or secure a captcha is, only depends on the time/money that spammer want to spend on breaking it (breaking could mean anything from using software to crack the codes up to paying humans to crack them). As long as spammers are not interested in the group that uses this specific captcha, then this one could possibly be even more secure than a graphical captcha. Since most sites try to fight spam using a graphical captcha, spammers are very likely most attuned to breaking those.

One of the big advantages of a non-graphical captcha over a graphical one, is that vision impaired people can use the captcha too. Lots of those people are really upset that they cannot use some websites, because they cannot read the graphical capcha.

What captcha to run on your site is fully up to you. But remember that what most people use is not by definition the best. This is especially true when trying to keep spam out of your system. Diversity in that field is much better than protecting all systems in the same way.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
May 24, 2007 03:26PM
module installed in my board, let´s see how it roooollllsssss

thanks!

Pepe
May 29, 2007 12:23PM
I am no longer using my own module, as Maurice's "SpamHurdles" one now uses the DB and provides a far better framework.
So, my module should really be considered "unsupported".

Maurice, I would be honoured if you would add my "spot the animal" algorithm to SpamHurdles. The disadvantage of this method is that users may need to have a decent command of the language used. The advantage (apart from accessibilty) is that you can customise the types of words according to your site, which can be nice.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
May 29, 2007 12:28PM
No problem. I will add that to my (long ;-) todo list.
I don't know on what time frame I'll be able to wrap it in, but I will do so.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 20, 2007 07:13AM
Mm, I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I installed it here [www.henny-savenije.pe.kr] and it won't work. At least, I tried a few times and I don't see the captcha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2007 07:41AM by henny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login