Firefox PHP

Latest X Posts in a templated Phorum-Page

Posted by Thomas Seifert 
Re: Latest X Posts in a templated Phorum-Page
February 21, 2006 01:44PM
You should really keep the latest version of the script in the first post. I have no idea which is the latest now after reading through all that, and still not sure what it finally does. The first post should have the latest download, and updated feature list, that's just a common practice.

Not to mention I can't believe Phorum doesn't have a way, ot of the box, to see new posts since last visit....

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
pat
no way, out of the box
February 21, 2006 01:51PM
Hi Steel (or is it rat?),

> Not to mention I can't believe Phorum doesn't have a way,
> ot of the box, to see new posts since last visit....

There is a "new" indicator that shows that you have not read a newly written post. What more do you want?
February 21, 2006 01:59PM
and to go on ... when this thread started there was no way to edit attachments in a post, one could only remove them.
so stop ranting and help improving.

btw. "last visit" isn't tracked anywhere. there is no definition of such an "event".

Thomas Seifert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2006 02:00PM by ts77.
February 21, 2006 02:14PM
Wow, thanks for the warm welcome. Didn't realize it was a rant.

Then how about linking to the download instead of attaching it? I'm trying to give some constructive criticism here and instead I'm apparently just "ranting".

What more do I want? Simnply a way to see all the new posts since I visited last. Why not just add a date field into the users table and actually track it? People seem to want it, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
February 21, 2006 02:25PM
this thread is about

> Latest X Posts in a templated Phorum-Page

not new post since your last visit, so your question is not the cause why this thread exists.

the point is, what IS your last visit?
the last time you clicked a page in the forum?
ok, so once you visit the forum again this timer is reset and once you click on the link to show you the "new posts since your last visit" your last "visit" is just seconds away.
beside the large overhead of updating that timestamp with every pageview in the forum.

Thomas Seifert
February 21, 2006 02:37PM
I was directed to this thread from another thread that was looking for the same thing I am.

No, your last visit is just that, last visit to the site, not a forum within the site. So when the session ends, that becomes your new last visit. That's the way other forums do it that I've ever used.

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
February 21, 2006 03:17PM
there is no session in phorum that will end.

Thomas Seifert
pat
last visit
February 21, 2006 04:19PM
Hey Steel,

the way phorum handels this is undoubtly the best I know of. Last visit makes no sense - Phorum markes unread messages, who cares when the last visit was ? All that counts is if the message was read or not.

Me personally I don't read all the new messages in one go sometimes and I come back later in the day, whith your suggestion this would mean that I would miss out on the prevously not read messages.

And on the ranting business - I had the same Impression as Thomas did. Constructive criticizm doesn't start with "You should really..." and "I can't believe..."
Re: last visit
February 21, 2006 04:30PM
Point taken about the rant.

However, saying it's the "best" way, isn't really true, it's just a different way. Whether it's best or not is relative and subjective.

I run several forum sites, all with phpBB2, and I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have the ability to see all topics with new posts and be able to easily see the last posts. As it stands with my Phorum install, from the main folder list I can't see any forums, only folders, I have to drill down into each folder to then see if there is anything new there. A simple link that shows all topics with new posts would be wonderful for me. I don't expect this software to be phpBB2, but every forum software I've ever used, as an admin, or user, has this sort of capability. Am I just missing something and have a bad setting somewhere? Are folders really not intended to be used?

Steel Rat
[infinite-realities.com]
Re: last visit
February 21, 2006 04:46PM
> from the main folder list I can't see any forums, only folders, I have to drill down into each folder to then see if there is anything new there.

use 5.1.x with the new index view and you'll see at once where new posts are as those forums are listed below their folders with a red "new" sign.

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login