Firefox PHP

Subscribers Mod - reward users, sell subscriptions etc

Posted by sheik 
Re: Subscribers Mod - reward users, sell subscriptions etc
September 28, 2005 03:16AM
No. Maybe you should read again what this mod exactly does?
September 30, 2005 04:12PM
Well I know what it does if I just wanted to set it up and go...

What I was trying to say is would this mod be able to be customized so I can have subscribers be able create private groups
September 30, 2005 05:20PM
If you're talking about customization anything can be done of course, but if you're asking if it is a simple thing to do with this mod as a starting point, I do not think it is.

This mod is not about creating forums, but it's about granting extra features to users (subscription is not neccessarily a payed account, but only a flag which makes the user special). I asked you to read what this mod is doing again, because you won't find anything in the readme.txt which points remotely at what you want to do.
September 12, 2006 02:31PM
Just in case anyone is interested, I thought I'd post an update about this module.
As well as hiding adverts, I am now using the concept of Phorum subscribers to provide a quiz that users can do whilst reading the forum.

Now obviously the quiz is completely separate PHP code, but the point is that I am showing different content based on whether a user is a "premium subscriber" or not.

You can see the "guest" quiz here: [www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk]
Subscribers get a customised quiz that stores individual data and retests them at a later date based on which questions they get wrong. They also get access to a "report card page" showing their progress.

I am finding it very convenient to manage subscribers from within Phorum, if somebody sends me a donation I can update their forum account with just a few clicks in the admin control centre.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
November 02, 2006 10:14AM
In reply to [www.phorum.org]

sheik
I am finding it very convenient to manage subscribers from within Phorum, if somebody sends me a donation I can update their forum account with just a few clicks in the admin control centre.

/\dam

Hi Adams,

I'm interested to support development, call it donation or other...

I like the idea of this module but could it be expanded or improved? Here is my needs:

I run a sailing club. We have a forum on our Web site which is open to public. Some members complain because the forum is funded with members' money but members do not have extra privilege at the moment. Your module cut my attention, however I would do more to promote or reward membership. Here is what I think:

Some module and/or global settings should be for members only. Example : the right to ad Polls in a post, the permission to attach files, the use editor style, spell checkers, the choice of templates (one without publicity) etc.

If I knew how to program php (and I don't), I would create a module or a hack that modify GROUPS settings in such a way as to attach extra privilege other than the one actually available. Those privileges would over-right global settings of course for users in these groups. For example, if a user is part of a the MEMBERS' group, I would be able to activate certain "cool" module for them as a reward. Is it possible to create a module that overwrite global settings & module activation for a group of special users? It sees to me that this would be a great way to promote membership on a forum...

In addition, for my particular need, I will also need a script that can automatically update the users in the MEMBER's group after comparing it with my live members' list file found in another section of my web site.

If you are up to this job, or another programmer then lets talks!

Regards,

Yves
November 02, 2006 06:29PM
Maybe you should ask what extra priviledges your users want. I prefer more content and posts whoever the posters are - registered or not registered.

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
November 02, 2006 09:52PM
Hi Sheik,

I noticed a smallerror in the README file. you wrote:

Sheik
The following are suggested template changes for the subscribers module.
There is a lot of scope for customisation here, be creative and please share your ideas on phorum.org.

header.tpl
----------
{IF USERINFO->hide_adverts 1}
You can output nothing here, or perhaps create something cool just for subscribers
{ELSE}
Your normal advert block (remember you can still break into PHP if necessary)
{IF}

Notice the last ending IF statement. I think it should be {/IF}
November 03, 2006 05:27AM
Hi Yvs,
It sound like you want what this post asks for: [www.phorum.org]

My personal thoughts on the subject: I don't believe such fundamentally useful modules such as the editor tools or spellcheckers should be for paying users only. Allowing everybody to format their messages easily improves the entire forum, and should be encouraged.
Classifying attachments as a paid privilege is understandable however, especially for people like me who are low on server diskspace so can't afford to give it away for free to all users.

Regarding funding Phorum by sponsoring a particular feature: this is an excellent idea and has helped many open source projects grow. I would encourage anybody that has need of a particular module to post details of what they want, and their budget. Brian, Thomas or Maurice would be the obvious candidates to do the work quickly and in a way that is compatible with future versions of Phorum.

It would even be possible to set up a thread asking for pledges from other users. So if "user A" wants a particular feature, but only has the budget for $100, they could ask other users who also want that feature to donate to the total funds.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
November 03, 2006 11:03AM
Hi Sheik,

Indeed Velum and I are friends and are working on the same forum project...

However, I think my original idea is a good one. Making certain module available to certain user only comes down to giving certain extra privilege to the supporting members. Which modules are made available to all users vs to certain Group only is just a matter of choice and personal experience not a topic for political debate. If you want to understand my personal reasoning behind it, see below in the yellow square.

For my personal need:
Change template for Supporting Members (Sheik: your Subscriber Module almost does that for me)
Chose which module to which Group of user
Allow File uploading (this is already possible with Groups)
Be able to generate the Group user file with a Cron Job. The member's file is located elsewhere on our site in a text file with "|" as spacer.

Sheik, I already installed you Subscriber Module. It does almost all I want. I edited the headers.tlp file to remove the banners and tried to also change the setting.php file but was unable to do so with the last one. Why would the (IF) statement won't work with the setting.php file? Do I need to Hook it in the info.txt file. Remember: I'm not a computer wise kid. I'm just a skipper (boat captain)...

If anyone can to do such a project, let me know. We can discuss of the "donation" required. The worst I can say, is no thanks! ;-)

Thanks all,

Yves

We've been running Phorum 3.2 for a very long time. Over 100,000 messages It was very convenient for us. Simple, no hassle, stable, etc. Until last month, a non-member (totally frustrated with life) came on the forum and started harassing and threatening certain members in particular. As you might know, Phorum 3.2 is limited in its ability to block some "crazy lose canon ball"... So while Velum went into the lengthy process of upgrading the phorum, I was playing cat & mousse with that idiot who kept changing IP to go around IP block. 

So after spending membership's resources to upgrade to 5.1.16a, in order to stop this respectfully non-member, it came to my mind that I should offer the new goodies to members only since I had to use there resources to upgrade and stop the idiot mention above. The new version will be open to public just like the old one and nobody will be force to register. The registered user will get more feature such as no Anti-Spam, Navy ranking grade, and more. And the Members will get the best of all Module as a reward for supporting the club. Module that was not available at all with Phorum 3.2.

Contrary to what you might have think before, the goal of offering more Modules to supporting member is not to increase sales of membership but simply reward actual members. As a matter of fact, I think I will not even publicised the new features to non-members so they won,t feel I'm trying to incite them to join. We always wanted that new member want to join because they felt the needed to support them. Advantages must come second...
November 06, 2006 09:21AM
Regarding enabling certain modules for particular user groups, I think it is an excellent idea, but am not sure of the best way to do it. Maurice has mentioned something before about not being able to choose the order that modules are run in, which could be a problem.

Sheik, I already installed you Subscriber Module. It does almost all I want. I edited the headers.tlp file to remove the banners and tried to also change the setting.php file but was unable to do so with the last one. Why would the (IF) statement won't work with the setting.php file? Do I need to Hook it in the info.txt file.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to do with the settings.php file. Can you explain in more detail please?

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login