Posted by Chris Eaton 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
polish.php 828 bytes open | download regdos.com 11/24/2004 Read message
french.php 768 bytes open | download salmson 11/27/2004 Read message
ukrainian.php 790 bytes open | download Gruz 02/02/2005 Read message
finnish.php 830 bytes open | download pekka 03/04/2005 Read message
danish.php 754 bytes open | download sif4ever 06/01/2005 Read message
onlineusers-customtemplate.zip 2.8 KB open | download kAtremer 08/09/2005 Read message
onlineusers-czech.zip 1.3 KB open | download CZVilda 08/22/2006 Read message
onlineusers.php 9.8 KB open | download Sunbringer 12/14/2007 Read message
Online Users Module
March 22, 2004 08:21PM
This is a preliminary online users module. All it does is show a list of users who have been active in a certain amount of time (configurable), and show which ones are Administrators.

Because this uses some new features in Phorum, it requires a version newer then 5.0.4b to be installed, basically a recent CVS version until 5.0.5 is released.

It also has an option to cache the list, which on a busy forum with a lot of online users will dramatically improve performance.

Suggestions to improve the effeciency of getting the data would be greatly appreciated. I'll also listen to feature requests, so long as they aren't to track which users are active in which forums. That would require a more complicated module that I am not interested in making (but this one does provide a basis for somebody else to work from to do that).

Download: [www.hiredgoons.ca]
Re: Online Users Module
March 23, 2004 03:42PM
New version from the same download location.

Only difference is that I've changed which call I use to read usernames out of the database, this version will be faster. Caching is still recommended if you have a lot of users. :)
Show in separate page
March 23, 2004 03:57PM
This is a little hack to show the users in a separate page, like a JS popup or something.

Step 1:
Modify /mods/onlineusers/settings.php
Change line 54 to
$pages=array("index.php","read.php","list.php","post.php","online.php");

And make sure you check the online.php checkbox in the settings.

Step 2:
Create online.php at root level. Set formatting as you need to, but here's the basic stuff you need in it, and that should be it:

<?php include_once("./common.php"); ?>
<html>
<head>
<title>Online Users</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php phorum_hook("before_footer"); ?>
</body>
</html>
View online users list - should be optional
March 25, 2004 04:25AM
Hi Tridus - you asked for feature requests, so here is one :)

We have previously implemented an online list in an older version of phorum (but later had to remove it due to a poor technical implementation with some side effects).

One thing we did learn from the user community, however, was that this kind of feature must be optional for each user to select:

If you choose to be on the online list yourself, you will also have access to it.
or
If you choose to stay off the list, you wont be able to see it.

In this way the list becomes a useful community tool, where it was originally (everybody on the list) both generally considered and in many cases _definitely_used_ as a spy tool. E.g. consider people with courious bosses using the forum at their job.
March 25, 2004 05:04AM
henrikb ... see the privacy-options in your control-panel.

not sure if tridus is using that flag but its there for that use ;).
March 25, 2004 11:06AM
Well, tridus does not have to use the flag. If it is selected, your last access time is not logged at all. so, Tridus' script will not find those users.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
March 25, 2004 11:29AM
sorry, my fault.
March 25, 2004 12:53PM
I didn't know that at the time, so it uses the flag anyway. :)
March 25, 2004 04:26PM
Probably best to use the flag. In those cases where someone wants to be hidden right now, it will work for them... unless it is cached of course.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
April 01, 2004 07:39AM
I've bundled up a new version that includes SalsaShark's online.php addition. Nothing else is changed.

Download: [www.hiredgoons.ca]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login