Posted by m.two 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
wcw_phorum_01.jpg 35.3 KB open | download m.two 11/21/2007 Read message
wcw_phorum_02.jpg 49.2 KB open | download m.two 11/21/2007 Read message
Problem with Spamhurdles Module
November 21, 2007 02:56AM
Hi Folks,
after updating our society forum to 5.1.25 i have some problems with the spamhurdles module.
On the admin panel everything's fine, but at the phorum frontend users are not able to post new topics or answers.
Why? Because Spamhurdles try to generate a gif CATCHA but you only see a "CAPTCHA" Box (see the attachment)
Wenn I switch the Spamhurdles module e.g. to "Solve a simple math captcha" the CAPTCHA is displayed but users see a error page which is generated by Spamhurdles that their post is identified as Spam...

What can i do? How can i solve this problem?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Greets m²

Re: Problem with Spamhurdles Module
November 21, 2007 03:55AM
PHP on your server lacks the ability to generate CAPTCHA images apparently. You need to have the GD tools for PHP installed to make that one work. So without changing anything to the system, you have to revert to one of the other CAPTCHA methods.

Did you try others besides the math one to see if those worked?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
November 21, 2007 06:36AM
Hi Maurice,
i don't think that the CPATCHA problem is associated with the PHP installation or options on the server (?!)
The module worked fine before updating phorum to the latest version :-(
I've tried other CAPTCHA methods from the the above mentioned module, but without success...

When i set the the module to "Solve a simple math captcha" registered or anonymous users get following message (pls. see the attachment; error message is displayed in german)

Is it possible that there is a problem with other modules or the folder rights on the server (but nothing was changed since the first installation))

I'm at a loss with this problem!

November 21, 2007 06:42AM
Try reinstalling the mod, try disabling en reenabling it on the module page. I'm at loss too. I've never seen this bahavior. Also, right click the broken CAPTCHA image and let the brower load it. Maybe you can see some PHP or Phorum error there.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
November 21, 2007 06:43AM
did you check the sanity checks in the admin? all green?

Thomas Seifert
November 21, 2007 09:37AM
Hello Maurice,
Hello Thomas,

thanks for your help!
I've already tried following: Disable the mod, rename and move the spamhurdles dir., upload the latest files from this site an enable the mod again. But unfortunately without success :-(
I saw that there is a table "spamhurdles" at the MySQL Database.
I have backup-ed this table and delete it before i installed the mod again in the second an third try (tried several ways). Nothing...

About Maurice's suggestion: Reload the Captcha image doesn't work (tried with Firefox 2.0.0.9 an IE 7.0)
About Thomas' question: The sanity checks are fine (OK an green) except the module checks (Warning)

Here is the sanity check message:

Sanity check failed
You have activated multiple modules that handle Phorum's "quote" hook. However, this hook is normally only handled by one module at a time. Keeping all modules activated might lead to some unexpected results. The colliding modules are: bbcode + markdown

Possible solution:
You can ignore this message in case you are sure that the modules can work together. Else, make sure you have only one of these modules enabled.

When i disable both modules which are mentioned in the error message the sanity checks warning still appears... :-|
Furthermore these mentioned modules should not be interacting with the Spamhurdles module?!? What is your opinion?
November 21, 2007 10:58AM
My opinion is that I don't know what's going on. What I wanted you to check is not an image reload, but instead opening the image on its own in the browser. Now you have a broken image, which could mean anything. If you open the image on its own, then sometimes you'll see some errors in front of the image data.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 03, 2008 07:54AM
I have a similar problem with spamhurdles too. After upgrading to 5.1.25, captca doesn't create gif images (there was no problem before the uprgrade) . It works fine with all the other options (ASCII, javascript, etc), but it stopped creating gif images.
I will try a new phorum install and try to locate the problem.
January 03, 2008 08:32AM
Nothing was changed in spamhurdles for 5.1 in quite a while. I just installed the 1.1.2 package for spamhurdles on my 5.1 test server and the image captcha works. So I really don' t know where your problem is coming from. Please start by doing what I proposed above already: right click the broken image and choose "view image" to view the image on its own. You might see error messages on screen instead of an image. Also examine the server's error log.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
January 03, 2008 09:02AM
Hi nikos1,
Hi Maurice,

thanks for keeping up this "ticket"!
Actual i'm running out of time in my job.
So i think it will take a few days to address myself back to the problem.

@nikos1: Keep me up to date about your re-installation! Thx in advance!

Yours m²
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login