New Mod: mailhide

Posted by nica 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
mailhide1.0.tar.gz 6.4 KB open | download nica 08/20/2007 Read message
mailhide1.1.tar.gz 6.9 KB open | download nica 01/11/2008 Read message
New Mod: mailhide
August 20, 2007 12:17PM
This module implements the reCAPTCHA mailhide API. This enables your users to let their email addresses be publicly available, without having to worry about them being harvested by spam robots, as each request for an address requires solving a CAPTCHA. Users can choose to hide their email address as usual.

Background:

After some talk about reCAPTCHA, Spam Hurdles and the mailhide API elsewhere on these phorums, I decided to implement a basic mailhide module -- mostly as an exercise. But since I wrote it, I figured I might as well share it with the community.

I offer this module in the hope that it will be useful, but I can promise neither support nor updates, although I shall try as time permits.

--
Niels Callesoe

Basic Phorum user.
Attachments:
open | download - mailhide1.0.tar.gz (6.4 KB)
Re: New Mod: mailhide
August 20, 2007 02:00PM
Please, indent the code inside your function() block. Makes it a lot more readable. Unless this is your personal favorite coding style of course.

I see that currently, you are only hiding the mail address on the profile page. That's a nice start already, but you might want to think about other mail addresses too. For example email addresses that are entered by anonymous users on posting and email addresses that are used inside messages. For the anonymous users, the "read" hook could be used to change the email address. For email addresses in the body, you could rip some code from the bbcode module and handle email addresses before the bbcode module does (in fact, that is easier to do in 5.2, because there modules can change their ordering by means of priorities; in 5.1 ordering is more a matter of chance).

Anyway, good to see this module popping up. Well done! :-)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Re: New Mod: mailhide
January 11, 2008 11:34AM
Mailhide version 1.1.0 is now ready for release.

This version includes protection of anonymous posters' email addresses as well as updating the reCAPTCHA API to version 1.10.

--
Niels Callesoe

Basic Phorum user.
Attachments:
open | download - mailhide1.1.tar.gz (6.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login