Firefox PHP

Email Spam Protection

Posted by m.two 
Email Spam Protection
July 21, 2007 11:15AM
Hi@All,

is there a module, etc. available that prevents bots, etc. from reading the email address from the user posts? Actually we have a lot of spam incoming through the user mailboxes, because of that the user email addresses a readable for everybody in the posts.

Hope you can help!

Thanks in advance!
Re: Email Spam Protection
July 21, 2007 11:44AM
The only good way of preventing bots from reading, is to not show the email address at all. Phorum 5.2 (current development version) has a global option for hiding email addresses for both registered and anonymous users. In Phorum 5.1, you will have to modify the profile.tpl template to not show the email address. If you also have anonymous users, then some more work has to be done. A module is needed to hide the mail addresses for anonymous users. Of course, those users can post without entering their email address.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
July 23, 2007 06:17AM
Hi, thanks for your answer.

But how can i enable this "global" option?
Will a mod be available next time for this "problem"?

Thx in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 06:20AM by m.two.
July 23, 2007 01:54PM
Like I said, a global option has been developed for Phorum 5.2, so starting from that version (when we release it as stable of course, we do not recommend using it earlier), you will be able to disable showing of email address completely.

Will a mod be available next time?

I do not know what "next time" means here, but there will be no mod for this. It will be a core feature of 5.2 and we will not write a mod for 5.1.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login