Firefox PHP

In-body attachment links/images (for Phorum 5.1 or later)

Posted by Maurice Makaay 
Re: In-body attachment links/images (for Phorum 5.1 or later)
September 25, 2006 11:18AM
just enable attachments in the forum.
the mod doesn't do this for you.

Thomas Seifert
Phorum Development Team / Mysnip-Solutions.de
Custom Phorum and general software development
worry-free Phorum Hosting
September 25, 2006 01:59PM
upload file is allowed, but i don't have any link or button to upload...

désolé pour mon anglais déplorable, mais je fais de mon mieux ^^

sisi je vous assure
September 25, 2006 02:34PM
Did you enable attachments for the forum in which you want to use attachments? If you have allowed "File uploads" for users under the General Settings (it sounds like you did this), then you only allow the users to upload files to their personal space in the control center. That has no relation to attachments in the forums.

If you have enabled attachments for the forum(s), then check if you have enabled the "Attach Files" permission in the forum settings for the users that are allowed to use attachments in the forum (Public Users = not logged in, Registered Users = logged in).

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
September 27, 2006 09:03AM
it's ok

i'm sorry for my stupid questions ^^
September 29, 2006 03:10AM
this is a fabulous mod!

it took reading the HTML page source for me to realise that lightbox was rolled in too though - and i'd dutifully downloaded it and was wondering where to unzip it :)

one problem...

BMP files in FireFox (under linux) don't display - can you confirm?

i don't think it's necessarily an i-b-a problem since attached bmps (prior to installing and enabling i-b-a don't display on click either [though they will if you upload the file and then edit your post to link to the attachment with img tags around it]

would love an answer to this

thanks
September 29, 2006 09:40AM
BMP files do not show. By default, since FireFox does not support them (neither do a lot of other browsers). Maybe there's some plugin for it, but if your site's for a larger audience then better not use bitmaps in your pages at all. Use JPEG, GIF and PNG only.

With
September 29, 2006 10:25AM
thanks Maurice - that's interesting.

BMP wouldn't be my choice, but it's what gets extracted from a simulation memory dump by proprietary 3rd party tools. so that's what my users are stuck with.

i might look at doing an ImageMagick "convert" to PNG as part of the attach/upload process. whatever i do must be lossless as far as the format translation is concerned.

thanks again for the info and for this great mod!
September 29, 2006 11:38AM
I played a little more and somehow my FireFox on FreeBSD does show BMP files (version 1.5.0.7). I do not know however, if this is the current default behaviour for firefox.

Converting to PNG is a good option. You can write a module for that. I wrote a mod once that would resize images and write them back as jpeg to the database. Unfortunately, that code is lost :-( It was a first resizing try that I did, but I ended up coding this into the i-b-a module. I think that I used the after_attach hook for doing the resize.

I might redo the resize attachments mod some time soon, since I do still need it for one of my forums. So if you don't get around to doing the conversion, you might be able to use my mod by rescaling too 100%, so it will basically only change the image format. There's one catch with this: animated gifs that are resized, will not be animated anymore afterwards. I might need to dig into animated gifs to resize those cleanly as well. More on this once I start working on it.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 06, 2006 06:15PM
Resizing of image added with
October 06, 2006 07:17PM
I can't really tell. That forum you pointed at is unreadable for me, so I can't get a good look at what is in there. Some low level code debugging might be neccessary, because I can't really tell at which point things could go wrong for you.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login