Firefox PHP

Show todays Birthdays Mod

Posted by JuergenHansen 
Re: Show todays Birthdays Mod
September 25, 2007 01:17PM
Thanks Maurice, that did the trick ! I will now stop looking at my logs... except for one or two small other errors that I can now probably fix on my own.

And yes Panu, they are notices.. however a touch of an OCD personality means that knowing of the errors meant they have to be dealt with... sigh.

And the logs did literally bring our site down as the errors from this mod alone completely filled the sector they reside on after only two months on a new server. We now have log rotation setup and it was only this week that I was able to look at the logs to figure out why they had crippled us.
September 25, 2007 01:30PM
No worries. I am in the same camp. Even if they are notices, they might indicate that the programmer did not define default values or that the code is handling possibly unexpected data. I always found that programming strictly prevents introducing bugs. If the code is expected to raise notices, it is really hard to find possible fatal notices between all the other fuzz. Here's an example of a piece code that would probably raise a notice, because of a spelling error:

$user = array(
    'user_id'  => $data['user_id'],
    'password' => md5($data['passwordd'])
);
do_save_user($user);

The notice would be rather fatal, since it would store an empty password for each saved user. That's why IMO, there is nothing like "just a notice". Notices might indicate extremely harmful bugs. Here's another example (somewhat silly, I know):

$path = "/my/important/file/tree";
$subpath = "tmp/thingy/foo";
system ("/bin/rm -fR $path/$suppath");

Anybody is allowed to disagree ;)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
September 25, 2007 01:37PM
Hello all,

Sorry, I haven't updated this addon for quite a long time. But finally, I got a job, so I don't have much time for coding.
I promise, I will fix the problems as soon as possible, hopefully next weekend. Until then, please post all bugs you find.

Sorry for all inconvenience.
September 27, 2007 01:00PM
ponyone
And yes Panu, they are notices.. however a touch of an OCD personality means that knowing of the errors meant they have to be dealt with... sigh.

I agree they have to be dealt with. But I mean that if you risk your servers uptime, it's maybe better to be dealt with a test server.

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
November 28, 2007 02:40PM
Hi!

The mod has been working great for a couple of months but now I have an error code :

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/utopiagf/domains/litterature.frih.net/public_html/forum/mods/ShowTodaysBirthdays/ShowTodaysBirthdays.php on line 189

Any help could be useful here.

Thanks,
Constantin.
Re: Hack for Show todays Birthdays Mod
December 13, 2007 02:44PM
mmakaay
No, I guess he means that at max 20 days of the year would show a birthday, which makes it "idle" the rest of the year.

I've got about 35 users, and the same issue. Perhaps an option to show "This Month's Birthdays" would address that?

That would be a nice addition if someone is going to update this for 5.2.

Also, does this take into account whether users are active or not? I'd rather not see birthdays for deactivated users.
Re: Hack for Show todays Birthdays Mod
December 14, 2007 06:24AM
stevehealy
That would be a nice addition if someone is going to update this for 5.2.

btw: is someone updating this for 5.2? i'M realy looking forward to this.
December 14, 2007 08:22AM
Long story short...

here is the new working ShowTodaysBirthdays\ShowTodaysBirthdays.php which works fine for me in 5.2

sincerly
Sun
Attachments:
open | download - ShowTodaysBirthdays.php (9.1 KB)
February 07, 2008 07:39PM
New version, new features, here:

[www.phorum.org]

Steve Healy, Phorum hacker, currently on: (version 5.2.23)
contributions:
Birthdays mod, Top Users mod, Icon legend.tpl, (plus a handful of bugfixes and old 5.0 creations)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login