Firefox PHP

Module for rating posts

Posted by Mensler 
Re: Module for rating posts
September 12, 2006 03:54PM
Mensler
I think I fixed all notices now.
Why is the format hook called on the list page, by the way?

The format hook can be used to format subjects and user names. Also, there is a template setting to have bodies included in the data for the list page. The Blog template uses this flag for example. Others have used it for putting previews of posts on the list page. It is also run on the search page.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
December 04, 2006 02:32AM
I fixed some more notices on the list page for private messages.

Greetings,
Clemens

--
Clemens Weiß
Webplain.de
December 04, 2006 12:50PM
I'm really interested in this module, but I would need to hack it to allow me to run SQL queries to find "most highly rated threads of all time", "most highly rated threads of 2006" etc. I believe this would require me to create a separate table to store the relevant ranking data in.

As far as I can see, I have two choices:

1) run the module as it is shipped, and don't hack it at all. I would then write a dedicated script to be run once per day, that read the ranking info for each post and wrote the results to my table. The advantages of this would be ease of maintenance (I wouldn't need to hack Mensler's code) and I could also distribute my script in the "Hack" phorum. I'm not sure how long it would take to extract the data from tens of thousands of posts though, and my ranking data wouldn't be realtime.

2) hack the module to write its data to my own table, as well as to the Phorum data structures. ie: the module would work completely as normal, but would store extra data in a non-Phorum table.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on what would be the most sensible approach.

Thanks,

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
December 12, 2006 01:11PM
I'm bumping my comment with apologies - if I make my proposed changes it should benefit some other users though, so feedback would be appreciated.

/\

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
December 12, 2006 01:49PM
I would do the second approach though you might be on your own with problems with the module then as its mostly your own in the end :).
but that shouldn't be a problem as long as the module does what you want.

Thomas Seifert
March 05, 2007 01:06PM
I have amember voting NEGATIVE for every message on the board. Is there a bit of code or something I could use to find out who it is? My site is 'registered users only'.
March 05, 2007 02:14PM
Hi,
you can take a look in the meta field of a rated message in the database.
You'll find a string similar to

s:10:"mod_rating";a:3:{s:4:"user";a:1:{i:0;s:3:"104";}s:8:"posCount";i:1;s:8:"negCount";i:0;}

In this part 104 is the ID of the user who has rated this post:

a:1:{i:0;s:3:"104";}

Greetings,
Clemens

--
Clemens Weiß
Webplain.de
June 18, 2007 06:45PM
thanks for this mod. i'm curious if the rating indicator might be made a little shorter and moved closer to the edge of the post, so it's a little less obtrusive.

any thoughts on putting the indicator next to the subject line on the thread listing, so users can see it before they open the post (and not appear at all if the post isn't rated)? just wonderin'...

thanks!
January 29, 2008 09:22AM
is this "discontinued"

I would be interested in something like this, anyone figured out similar solutions?

January 29, 2008 02:20PM
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I don't have the time at the moment to develop the module any further.
But it's open source, so feel free to modify it the way you like :-)

Greetings from Germany,
Clemens

--
Clemens Weiß
Webplain.de
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login