Firefox PHP

Real Name Module (5.1 and 5.2 ready)

Re: Real Name Module (5.1 and 5.2 ready)
November 18, 2006 06:04AM

i guess what confuses me is that is what is the point of the author field at all then? seems kind of redundant if it is never supposed to be anything but what is in the users.username anyway.

It can be user for displaying the author's name, without having to retrieve the name every time from the user table. Redundacy is sometimes neccessary for speed (else you might say that Phorum is way too redundant by all the meta data caching that it does).

But there's no reason to keep the author name the same as the username at all. All that is going on here is that you are apparently looking for some other mod than the real_name mod. Since this mod simply displays the real_name instead of the original author name in postings. The description of the mod is not "use any name the author likes at write time and remember that name". I would not want this kind of functionality in the real_name mod.

What you apparently want, sounds more like the named posting module. It's on the modules listing page as well.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
November 27, 2006 11:31PM
building on the "batman" login "Bruce" realname example..

I just noticed that with this module it still will say "batman" instead of "Bruce" when it says :

batman Wrote:
----------------

in the textarea if you click on "Quote This Message"

unless there is something unique to my install..
November 28, 2006 02:55AM
Hi rheo,

rheo
I just noticed that with this module it still will say "batman" instead of "Bruce" when it says :

batman Wrote:
----------------

in the textarea if you click on "Quote This Message"

In which version? My 1.2.6 or Maurice´s 2.0.3?

Regards
Oliver

Using Phorum since 7/2000: forum.langzeittest.de (actual version 5.2.23)
Modules "Made in Germany" for version 5.2: Author_as_Sender, CarCost, Close_Topic, Conceal_Message_Timestamp,
Format_Email, Index_Structure, Mailing_List, Pervasive_Forum, Spritmonitor, Terms_of_Service and German_Language_Files_Package.
November 28, 2006 11:12AM
Version : 2.0.3
November 28, 2006 05:06PM
Handling quoting with real names can be a bit wobbly I think, since there's no good way of predicting what name in the quoted message has to be replaced with the real name. This is, because there can be quote hooks active, which change the format of the quote message. I'd have to look into this to see how this could be solved gracefully. I don't feel like implementing a crude hack for this.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
November 30, 2006 05:41AM
Hi rheo,

rheo
I just noticed that with this module it still will say "batman" instead of "Bruce" [...] in the textarea if you click on "Quote This Message"

Real Name Module (5.1 and 5.2 ready), new version 1.3.0

Changelog
2006/11/30 version 1.3.0 by Oliver Riesen (oliver@riesen.org)
- User name in quotes (posts and private messages) now also replaced by real name.

Regards
Oliver

Modules "Made in Germany" for version 5.2: Author_as_Sender, CarCost, Close_Topic, Conceal_Message_Timestamp,
Format_Email, Index_Structure, Mailing_List, Pervasive_Forum, Spritmonitor, Terms_of_Service and German_Language_Files_Package.
November 30, 2006 12:16PM
this is confusing..

now should I be using your 1.3.0 ?

any chance you and maurice are going to combine versions are there some bottom line differences we should know about before deciding?
November 30, 2006 02:51PM
Hi rheo,

rheo
are there some bottom line differences we should know about before deciding?

Did you see my new additional hint in the first post?

Why there are two maintained versions of this module?
At the moment there are two different versions of this module. The version 1 by
Oliver Riesen is an easy to use variant. Version 2 by Maurice Makaay is more
sophisticated and offers special features for embedded phorum's or sharing user 
informations. Both versions offers (nearly) the same functionality. So, if you 
are using your Phorum stand-alone try version 1. If you are using your Phorum 
as an embedded part of your homepage or if you want to share user informations 
try version 2.

Regards
Oliver

November 30, 2006 03:37PM
ah i see.

I am using the embed_phorum module so i guess i had better stick with version 2.

thanks.
November 30, 2006 06:58PM
Embedding has nothing to do with the version 2 module really. It's also not true that version 2 would be harder to use. It's a simple drop-in-and-go-module. I coded version 2 to be functionally the same as version 1.

A big difference is that version 2 offers more flexibility for extending its functionality. By default, the real_name user field is used for translating the username, but developers can write modules that can implement any kind of translation. On my own site, I use this to not only show another name, but also to point the profile link to my own profile system, add an icon for moderators and add an icon if the user is in my chatroom.

Another big difference is that I made up a description language for describing what fields in the page info need translating. This language makes it easier to maintain the long list of rewriting actions. As a user, you do not have to worry about this, but for developers the rewriting code is easier to maintain.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login