Firefox PHP

Delete messages

Posted by wnd 
wnd
Delete messages
October 25, 2005 09:35AM
Hello!

I've got idea for Admin module.

It will be very useful function to delete all messages(or select what messages to delete) from selected nickname(s). Sometimes spammers post a lot of trash and it takes long time to clean forum.

What do you think?

Regards,
wnd
Re: Delete messages
October 25, 2005 10:08AM
what if a spammer used the nickname from one of your registered users?

Thomas Seifert
wnd
October 25, 2005 10:23AM
ts77
what if a spammer used the nickname from one of your registered users?

Well, when I said spammer I mean user that post a lot of junk messages.
Anyway it's only for administrator's, if I want to delete a lot of messages I know what I do :)

What do you think?

Regards,
wnd
October 25, 2005 01:30PM
Why not ban the user before his junk gets out of controllable hand?
January 31, 2006 01:30PM
Probably banned the user and is having to deal with their spammy offensive posts they left behind. If need be, you can use phpadmin or whatever ya use for sql, and say select * from phorum_messages where user_id = (user_id);

Then select all and delete. But er.. don't take my word for it, get a second opinion, because I'm a visitor, and more like the phorum's village idiot. ^_^

-------------------------------------------

"Everything we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream." -Edgar Allan Poe
February 07, 2006 06:07AM
I also am suffering from this problem. There are automated scripts attacking my site which post several hundred spams as multiple replies to existing threads. It is extremely time-consuming to manually delete each message.
I was going to use phpMyAdmin, but was worried it would mess up all the internal message counts.

Any advice appreciated.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
February 07, 2006 06:18AM
then write a script to delete them on the condition you want for that.
there is not really a sane generic way to do this, so it'll always be a custom script.

Thomas Seifert
February 07, 2006 11:46AM
I may be forced to write such a script, to delete messages based on subject, author name or body text.

I've just written a non-graphical CAPTCHA though, which will hopefully stop my spam woes for a little while: [www.phorum.org]

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
February 07, 2006 12:08PM
One other thought on deleting messages - what would save a lot of time in the manual deletion process is a "delete this message and later replies" option, to complement the "delete this message and replies" option.
The reason is that the spambots that are hitting me, reply randomly to existing threads, but never reply to themself, so the existing "delete this message and replies" option never deletes multiple spams.

So, you might get an existing thread that looks like this:

original post Jan 2004
---genuine reply Jan 2004
------spam Today
---genuine reply Jan 2004
------genuine reply Jan 2004
---------spam Today
------genuine reply Jan 2004
------spam Today
---spam Today
etc

The above example would require each message be deleted individually.
Being able to delete "all later messages" would require only the first message to be deleted.

It may even be better to change the behaviour of "delete message and replies" to give a user prompt to "only delete child replies" or "delete all later replies". That might be less confusing for moderators.

Just an idea anyway.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
February 07, 2006 02:06PM
I think that this will become very confusing and that probably valuable replies will get lost, because you can easily overlook new good postings. People will probably answer with irrelevant postings to spam, so removing "this spam message and its replies" is rather safe. Deleting "This spam message and all replies that were posted after this spam message" is dangerous and will make people mad at your moderators, because they keep throwing away the hard work of typing a useful reply.

There's nothing to stop you from writing such a function yourself, but I doubt this is going to be considered a must-have core option.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
March 02, 2009 01:51AM

then write a script to delete them on the condition you want for that.
there is not really a sane generic way to do this, so it'll always be a custom script.

It would be useful to have a 'delete spammer' function that would

1) Delete the spammer's account.
2) Add the IP address, email address, and a number of admin_specified Illegal Words to the Ban List.
3) Delete all messages by the spammer.

Heck, I'd settle for item #3. The spammers get automatted spamming tools, so why can't we have automated despamming tools? Having to delete n hundred messages by either a) hand, or b) a mysql command is not very user friendly.

At the very least could you provide some example code/mysql command in the documentation describing how to delete all messages by a given user? I am mildly concerned that I might accidentally nuke or corrupt my phorum with a badly worded mysql command.
March 02, 2009 03:06AM
What version of Phorum are you using? 5.2 offers the "Prune Messages" link on the bottom left of the admin section. This allows you to delete all messages with certain words, from a certain user, etc.

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald
March 27, 2009 07:36AM
How about displaying a "This Is Spam" button with every message? Users / readers can click the button if it is a spam. There will be a "Spam Report" listing with check boxs in the admin panel. Messages with at least one click will appear in the list & it will show the number of clicks a message receive. The administrator can then select / flag all or individual message to be deleted. Perhaps the list can be sorted / filtered alphabetically or sorted by author name / username or by the number of clicks received.
March 27, 2009 07:44AM
There is already a "report this message" option, which can be used for reporting spam and offending content. This can be nicely combined with the Auto Hide module (warning: 5.1 version, this might need some changes to make it work for 5.2). Messages that are automatically hidden can be viewed from the control center and deleted when neccessary.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
March 27, 2009 10:33AM
Maurice Makaay
There is already a "report this message" option, which can be used for reporting spam and offending content. This can be nicely combined with the Auto Hide module (warning: 5.1 version, this might need some changes to make it work for 5.2). Messages that are automatically hidden can be viewed from the control center and deleted when neccessary.

Perhaps the Auto Hide mod needs to be updated because those who don't know php / html coding will not be able to make the changes to make it work for 5.2.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2009 11:07AM by abcx.
March 27, 2009 04:12PM
Updated Auto Hide and certified as a 5.2 module.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login