Firefox PHP

More refined permissions needed

Posted by Panu 
More refined permissions needed
May 18, 2003 05:49PM
Or probably phorum allows it already but it's not hooked to any UI yet?

If I want to give certain group some other permissions than read, write, administrator etc. how should I do it.

My superusers group has permission level 30 in forum_group_xref. Superusers are supposed to be like administrors.(note I don't use that data anywhere yet) If I want a group called "editors" with little less rights I can of course create it by hand and change permission level to 20 or whatever.

Question: How can I "read" that level in template for example?
{IF post->userlevel > 19} ??

And then assign userlevel somewhere?

Panu
Re: More refined permissions needed
May 18, 2003 07:35PM
there are no permission-levels in p5 yet.
May 19, 2003 03:54AM
And there is no need for permission levels in Phorum 5. The system is an exclusive grant/deny system. Not a level based system.

You create a forum and do not allow registered users or public users. Then create a group and allow that group to do whatever it is you want.

It has its pros and cons, but this way is a bit simpler for non-geeks to understand.
May 19, 2003 10:17AM
that's right. we got a vast number of questions about the levels in p3.
May 19, 2003 01:15PM
Ok, how do I add more levels to choose from in admin? There's only 5 of them at the moment.

I hope this isn't totally silly question.

Panu
May 19, 2003 04:26PM
I don't understand what you mean by more levels.
May 19, 2003 06:50PM
At the moment there are:

no access, read only, reply only, full access, administrator.

I would like to have a way to check in a template, if user has high enough permissionlevel and display or not display something based on that.

At the moment I use the same flag as post_form template is using to check if sticky and announcement are allowed. (You have to be administrator for that?)

I need to show a checkbox of using my module or not to users who don't have permission to sticky or announcement necessiraly. What kind of {IF...} should I use?

Thankyou for directing me to right path...

Panu
May 19, 2003 11:15PM
What do they have access to?
May 20, 2003 12:15AM
(Or should have acces to)

A module I made to post a phorum post to my news table also. I don't want to give them admin permission to phorum.

Panu
May 20, 2003 01:15AM
just give them moderator-permissions, then they are allowed the show-special also.
the flag for this is set in the code for the post-page.
May 20, 2003 09:18AM
But I don't want them to have "other" admin permissions. And that is the way I have it set up at the moment. It doesn't matter for now because I'm the only user with admin permission, but would like other to be able to use my mod.

Panu
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login