Firefox PHP

Cache generates THOUSANDS of folders and files

Posted by LastHunter 
Cache generates THOUSANDS of folders and files
September 25, 2010 08:43AM
Hello,
yesterday I got an e-mail from my webhoster that I am over my limit of inodes, which means number of files and directories. The limit was reached because of phorum. In the /cache folder there are literally tons and tons of files.

I think this is a serious issue and I am sure more clever ways how to store cached data.

I would like to know if there is any way how to disable phorum cache completely.

Thanks.
Re: Cache generates THOUSANDS of folders and files
September 25, 2010 12:21PM
Sure there is. Go to the admin interface. In there, you can disable the various caches. File cache is only useful on small boards. As soon as the board grows, it will bite. If it were up to me, I'd drop the file cache in full. For bigger boards, caching using memcached is a lot better.

So for you, I'd say: disable the caching and cleanup the cache directory.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
October 02, 2010 10:59PM
Interesting, I haven't heard that before.
I run some very busy phorums. Currently I have "Which data to cache?" all set to No, except for CSS and JS.

Is there a topic discussing cache tuning using memcached?
The admin docs seem to be under construction:

[www.phorum.org]

Thanks

___
Skye Nott
Corvus Digital
October 03, 2010 03:43AM
There isn't much to it.
Just install and configure memcached and enable the memcached caching layer.

Thomas Seifert
April 25, 2011 03:17PM
Can you elaborate a bit more on why file caching isn't good for large boards? I recently upgraded an old Phorum 3 installation to 5.2.16 and I'm running into some unexpected performance issues. I enabled file caching, thinking that could help. It's a pretty active board with roughly 2.5M posts in the archive over a series of forums. Should I avoid file caching? I have not used memcached before, but will look into that if it's the best solution.

Thanks.
April 25, 2011 04:08PM
Memcached is definitely the superior caching mechanism for large boards. The prime reason for file caching being bad, is the very reason that this thread got started in the first places: it creates *a lot* of files. Also, memcached will run in memory and won't perform expensive disk operations for retrieving cached data.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login