Firefox PHP

Phorum 5.1 Roadmap

Posted by Brian Moon 
Re: Phorum 5.1 Roadmap
February 28, 2005 11:15AM
If you can't code, no extension, compiler or accelerator is not able to help you.

Use editor that you know the keybord shortcuts for, one that has syntax highlighting for php, html and css. Maybe debugger integration. ZEND ide is nice but I think it costs money.

if you don't know if you need an extension then you propably don't need it. When you need it then you can install it.

And Firefox bookmark keywords are much nicer than chm help. "php date" on the address bar gets me php date funtion and all user comments. chm help doesn't have user comments I think...?

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
February 28, 2005 11:28AM
I did the choice of the editor long ago. It's Vim.

Now when I really can make the code, I can think of frameworks, CMSes, templating, database abstraction and everything else that is for the sake of web designers, content editors, end users and bosses. Accelerators fall into all this, and I seek for what else does.

CHM does have user comments, in a separate file, at least english version for PHP 4. Just pick the latest and biggest.
February 28, 2005 12:36PM
We are getting off topic here. I need thread split I guess.

To answer your questsion about adoDB and Smarty - it is all about speed. Speed comes first for Phorum. That is why no OO will make it into the core. There is some in the admin, but speed is not a concern there.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
mt
March 03, 2005 11:36AM
brianlmoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Completely new template from scratch - Promopixel,
> creator of the Eugenol template, has expressed an
> interest in doing a completely new template. I
> recently used the Eugenol template and was
> impressed with the CSS/HTML structure. ...

A perfect idea.
An easier "CSS-structure" will help to create new templates and styles.

regards
mt
March 06, 2005 12:20PM
Hello developers,

> welcome comments and possible additions.
First thanks to all for that well done Phorum 5.x

May be it would be possible:

1. To enhance the register form module with the possibility to call to the full postal address while registration. Would be helpfull on sensitive phorums.

2. Also a hook or something else would be fine for a general login system. That would be helpfull for integration in an existing portal site.

Please take my apolozige if I had somthing overread in that both matters inside other threads.

---
Ciao
runner
March 06, 2005 12:28PM
Hi runner,

1. can be done with custom profile fields (just add them in the admin and in the registration-form).
2. you can do this in the common-hook. I think there was a module in the modules-forum which uses that already for reading other auth-data.

Thomas Seifert
pat
March 06, 2005 02:35PM
Hi,
first of all thanks a lot for the already done work on v5 it is really superb and by the way the update-scripts (I had to update from 3.3.2) are really slick.

For the future I would like to have some kind of attachment interface in the admin - now that all the files are in the db they can not be handled as easiely as before. I would appreciate the possibility to view, download, and reupload attachments.

pat
March 19, 2005 04:45PM
brianlmoon Wrote:
> With 5.0 out there and doing well, it is time to
> shift to 5.1. Here is our roadmap for 5.1. I
> welcome comments and possible additions.
>
> Major changes:
> ===============
> [...]
> Folders "Enhanced" - If you have had a look under
> the hood, you know that folders are nothing more
> than forums with a property set. We are leaning
> toward removing the folder assignment and simply
> allowing forums to have sub-forums. thoughts?

Hi,
first i wanted to thank you for your very good job with v5, and please forgive me for my bad english!

About these sub-forums, i think there's another good way to do what they're supposed to.

What are the goals of sub-forums? To organize the thread that are in a big forum, right ?

If I'm right, why don't Phorum use a filter system ? That's simple. For example you have a "Misc Forum", which has several categories (Sports, Tech, Music...).

When you write a new thread in this forum, you have a drop-down menu, where you choose which category your thread will belong to, in our case, let's say "Sport".

In the list view, by default, you see all the threads. But there's a menu, and the links in it (Sports, Tech, Music...) allow you to filter the forum, so you can only see the threads which belong to the category you have choosed.

This system keeps organized threads in a forum, and is not a major update to the code (just metadata).

I'm not sure if my message is very clear... So here is a forum which already has this system running, natively : [forum.hardware.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2005 04:47PM by Delusive.
Wishlist
March 28, 2005 11:48AM
Hello, and thanks to everyone who developes the Phorum software!

Here is a wishlist for 5.1. Most of my requests have to do with admin features. We've recently had troubles with bad posters (our Phorum was shut down for a month while we cleaned out the bad postings and photos).

1) There was a request for an IGNORE feature (another phorum post [phorum.org]) This would be a great addition. It would allow users to control (moderate) the forum on their own.

2) Allow feature so moderators can suspend or ban users without giving them full admin access. We've tried to see how Group Membership can faciliate this but we haven't gotten it to work properly yet.

3) Allow admin to delete postings made by a single user.

4) Allow admin to delete postings by date range, rather than "days old" (This would have been handy in my case to delete messages for Jan 1 - Jan 3, from all forums rather than going in to each and deleting by hand).

5) Add feature so users can warn/caution other users, and display a "warnings rating" for each user.

6) Any other features which would help admin and moderators deal with recurrent bad posters. (Even after banning it's easy to re-register. And it's been a bear to deal with.) I remember seeing a forum which allowed users to filter the posts they see based on the users warning level. (Similar to ignore, but happens automatically.)

Thank you for your consideration!

Paul

Re: Wishlist
March 28, 2005 11:59AM
1. that was a request for a module, not core stuff
2. group memberships work just fine.
3./4. sounds reasonable
5. uhm, we are no IM-app. also this would allow a couple of users to "ban" users from the forum ... that should be in the hands of moderators

Thomas Seifert
March 28, 2005 01:02PM
> 5. uhm, we are no IM-app. also this would allow a
> couple of users to "ban" users from the forum ...
> that should be in the hands of moderators

I think he is saying that the user controlled only what he sees not what everyone sees.

The only thing I have considered is something along the lines of a slashdot like moderation where you don't see messages, just subjects of messages that have been moderated (by users) above a certain level.

March 28, 2005 03:06PM
Yes, I don't propose that users ban other users, but that it's a method to control what posts I'll see based on the Warning Level that a user has.

If someone is a persistant "nasty" poster, and many users warn that user. Then ..

1) that user could go on a Moderator list for further action and

2) I decide that I don't want to view posters who have a warning above X number.

Paul
March 30, 2005 11:49PM
I suggest two features:
* Ability to add avatar in user's profile
* Make user's signature independant from user's message. I solved this problem with adding additional CSS entry for signature. See for exmaple: [linux.alhimia.ru]
March 31, 2005 11:39AM
> * Ability to add avatar in user's profile

there is a module for that already.

Thomas Seifert
April 25, 2005 01:57AM
Admin usersgroups, will they be added or should it become a mod, just wondering. Thnx

Sergej

------------------------------------------
^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
April 25, 2005 02:06AM
don't know *what* you are talking about.

Thomas Seifert
April 25, 2005 02:30AM
Like admin users with different permissions, e.g. only creating new forums inside one particular folder etc.

Sergej

^AU^ Assassins United
April 25, 2005 02:57AM
that will be an awfull deep change in the admin-code.
not planned at all.

Thomas Seifert
April 26, 2005 11:51PM
Hi,

I've just started working with Phorum and have been quite impressed so far - good work.

One thing I've noticed is that you are creating pseudo tables with CSS. Tables should be used when you're listing tabular data like lists of forums/threads. SO please please please don't create pseuso tables with CSS :).
April 27, 2005 02:53AM
you can do everything with the templates you like, thats the point about templates. I think the eugenol template might be what you are looking for.

Thomas Seifert
April 28, 2005 06:15AM
Feijoa Wrote:
> you're listing tabular data like lists of
> forums/threads. SO please please please don't
> create pseuso tables with CSS :).

This was discussed something like 2 years ago already :)

The thing is that it's really difficult to get predictable results with only CSS accross the good and bad browsers. CSS is a good thing, but unfortunately some people still use for example IE.

There are not that many tables anyway and if you like you can modify/change the default template as much as you like. And as Thomas said eugenol has pushed the limit a little further already.

---
-=[ Panu ]=-
May 22, 2005 01:12PM
Panu Wrote:
> Feijoa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you're listing tabular data like lists of
> > forums/threads. SO please please please
> don't
> > create pseuso tables with CSS :).
>
> This was discussed something like 2 years ago
> already :)
>
> The thing is that it's really difficult to get
> predictable results with only CSS accross the good
> and bad browsers. CSS is a good thing, but
> unfortunately some people still use for example
> IE.
>
> There are not that many tables anyway and if you
> like you can modify/change the default template as
> much as you like. And as Thomas said eugenol has
> pushed the limit a little further already.
>
>
>
>
>
> -=[ Panu ]=-

Yea, and if you use CSS good IE and all other up to date browsers will handle it without problems. IE 7 will come out soon, from what I heard it will be more CSS friendly.

Sergej

^AU^ Assassins United
June 01, 2005 04:39PM
i think the language barrier reared it's ugly head again (=

what i think he's saying is to create a Phorum Group where you assign admin functions, which then cascade to anyone in that group.

so i could have several different groups... one does forum moderation, one does newuser moderation, one can moderate group memberships. . . and THEN i could assign a guy to 2 or 3 of these groups depending on the duties i want to assign him.

the potential of this would be with integration of phorum into other apps. a groups hook could allow me to add other responsibilities to a phorum group (like news posting or file management) while leaving it devoid of actual phorum duties.
June 01, 2005 04:48PM
we have "message moderation", "user moderation" and "group-administrators", what are you missing? ;)

Thomas Seifert
June 02, 2005 02:59PM
the third eye that would not only show me those checkboxes but also make me realize that it's exactly what i was after.
July 22, 2005 02:59PM
My Forum has been going for 4 years now.

In that time it has seen alot of evolution in the number of forums.

we now have a list of about 30 forums and users still want to create more.

I'm wondering..

could we make it possible in 5.1 for users to filter their forum lists but being able to unsubscribe from a forum?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2005 03:01PM by rheo.
July 22, 2005 03:01PM
not planned, nor easily possible. maybe a module could do this.
the features for 5.1 are fixed, check the development-release.

Thomas Seifert
July 22, 2005 03:01PM

I like the idea of forums having subforums.

Would it be possible to see all posts in the subforums when you are in the parent and then filter down the posts as you descend subfolders?

July 22, 2005 06:15PM
Yeah, we scrapped that for the time being. We need to think it out more.

July 23, 2005 04:32AM

oh. too bad.

the new flat index is looking good tho. :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login