Firefox PHP

[Suggestion] Private messages new features

Posted by Diego 
[Suggestion] Private messages new features
March 26, 2009 05:57AM
My lazy users use a lot the private messaging.
But private messaging is still basic tool. While I am aware that it is not meant to be a full "email client", i think couple of features could be implemented to improve the usability:

Messages pagination: oh yes, we can set the limit for messages received, but without any pagination at all becomes unusable when you have let's say more than 20 private messages, which i think it is really reasonable. Of course some "unreasonable" users have up to 400 private messages. With this big amount of messages, it is a complete mess.

Mark them as read button: let's say I am subscribed to a thread, and I might get so many notifications, or a private message with many users involved. When you have 15 of this messages, you have to go and check them once a time. No way to "Mark all read" or even checkbox to "Check them all". You can leave them there but you would still get the "You have new messages" notification

This brings me to mind another suggestion, not strictly private messaging related:

Notify first reply only to my subscribed threads: while it is nice to get an email where I have a new reply to my subscribed thread, in busy threads it is annoying to get 25 emails notifying 25 new replies. Couldn't it be done in a way like other forums do, just notify first new thread and not new ones until user checks the thread?

Thanks
Re: [Suggestion] Private messages new features
March 27, 2009 01:55PM

Notify first reply only to my subscribed threads: while it is nice to get an email where I have a new reply to my subscribed thread, in busy threads it is annoying to get 25 emails notifying 25 new replies. Couldn't it be done in a way like other forums do, just notify first new thread and not new ones until user checks the thread?

We've been talking about it and there's a lot of additional tracking involved.
Usually other forums don't limit it to the visit of that thread but you just have to visit the forum to reenable all notifications.
That would actually mean to run an update query on each forum hit to reenable disabled notifications which could get heavy on the database.

Thomas Seifert
Re: [Suggestion] Private messages new features
April 07, 2009 05:02PM
any consideration for future features like the suggested ones?
thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login