Firefox PHP

Suggestion: Admin interface, modules: ordering

Posted by nica 
All files from this thread

File Name File Size   Posted by Date  
new_admin.png 21.3 KB open | download Maurice Makaay 06/16/2008 Read message
Suggestion: Admin interface, modules: ordering
February 26, 2008 07:53AM
Currently, I have 20+ modules installed for Phorum. Not all of which are activated. And yet, they are all displayed in simple alphabetical order in the Phorum Module Settings list. Even with the styling, it is becoming unwieldy.

Thus, I suggest implementing a simple sorting option so that is it possible to list activated modules first, followed by a divisor, followed by inactive modules.

Basic example:

Phorum Module Settings
[[color=#32CD32]Active Modules[/color]]
Announcements
BBCode
Mailhide

[[color=#FF6347]Inactive Modules[/color]]
HTML Phorum Mod
Send mail through SMTP
etc.

--
Niels Callesoe

Basic Phorum user.
Re: Suggestion: Admin interface, modules: ordering
February 26, 2008 09:19AM
I'd say that this would be a useful ordering and a representation that is not uncommon in software packages that use some sort of a module system. I will take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
February 26, 2008 11:00AM
Or we could have a toggle, show all available modules or just the active ones.

--
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
February 26, 2008 11:22AM
Hey, don't push it! =)

I'll see what I can do. I was also thinking about an option to hide the extra info and to only display the module titles. That would compress the information a lot, possibly making the list overview a bit more clear.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
February 26, 2008 03:29PM
Hello Maurice,
my suggestion:
Open in a new browserwindow and ordered leftside by Themes:
Moderation:
- Impersonate User

Posting
- BBcode
- BBcode GeSHi
- BBcode Google

Core
- Announcements
- Automatic HTTP Path

Look and Feel
- Format Signatures
- Customize Mail Messages

And other groups ;-)

Aktivated Modules bold and deaktivated in normalfontstyle
The description on the Alttext of the link or like the Phorumhelp

Best regards
Berti

I speek swabian and german very well - not english :-(

My Phorum on [clever-forum.de]

My testfforum with version 5.2.x is on [test.clever-forum.de] (user: Phorum password: Clever)
February 26, 2008 03:57PM
Opening a new window? I don't think so. But even inside the same window, this wouldn't be really feasable this way, since modules can put themselves in multiple categories and it would be hard to find a module if you don't know the category for it. Maybe it could be another view option to display the modules. Then we would have:

- all modules in a list
- separate list for active and inactive modules
- modules for a certain category

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
June 16, 2008 07:57AM
A very easy hack might be to simply display inactive modules with a different CSS style tag. The admin template could then show them greyed out, or with smaller text etc.

/\dam

--
My notable Phorum sites:
Movie Deaths Database - "review comments" system mostly powered by Phorum
Learn Chinese! - integrated forum quiz
June 16, 2008 08:10AM
You should really try out the trunk's (5.3) module's admin interface ;-)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team

June 16, 2008 11:42AM
That's a nice preview Maurice. Will that include upgrade checking or is that a vision of future work for my CMU module?

Joe Curia (aka Azumandias)
Modules: l0Admin Mass Email00000000l000000Automatic Time Zones000ll.l00000Enhanced Custom Profiles0.00Google Calendar0000l.l000000Post Previews
000000000Admin Security Suite000000000000Check Modules for Upgrades0000External Authentication000000Group Auto-Email00000.00000Private Message Alerts
000000000Attachment Download Counter0000Custom Attachment Icons000ll.ll00Favorite Forums000000.00000Highlighted Search Terms0000Self-Delete Posts Option
000000000Attachment Watermarks0l00000000Custom Language Database00l.l.0Forum Lockdown00000.00000Ignore Forums0000000000000Threaded Tree View
000000000Automatic Message Pruning00.llll.00Easy Color Scheme Manager0l.l00Forum Subscriptions0000lll000Moderated User Group
Templates:lGeneric Integration000000000 0000Simple Rounded000000 00000000Tabbed Emerald
June 16, 2008 01:54PM
Upgrade checking is a function that I want to include in there too. If I don't get around to that, then you can do a module for it ;-)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
October 10, 2008 11:17AM
ugh this could get really ajaxy and heavy...
listing by categories isn't necessarily infeasible. if a module needs to appear multiple time for multiple category entries then go ahead and show it. it's just a query result. But this logic will invariably lead to a need to collapse the categories cuz they'll all wind up being pretty fat and the page will wind up being a mile long . . . slippery slope.

simple: table sort headers. sort by title, sort by author name, sort by category name, sort by active state . . . with the description and other info either being folded up or shunted off to a subsequent window like settings. if there's no settings it's just the info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login