Firefox PHP

OpenID and Phorum ?

Posted by Nothing 
OpenID and Phorum ?
August 10, 2007 01:17PM
Hi,

I've just installed last stable Phorum (5.1.xx).

But I see there is no OpenID support, it's planned ?

Maybe OpenID will be in 5.2 ? (please !!! :) ).
Re: OpenID and Phorum ?
August 10, 2007 01:20PM
the problem is that openid is a moving target, protocols are steadily changing.
brian has looked into building openid authentication for phorum but it was more trouble than gain.

Thomas Seifert
August 10, 2007 03:49PM
Ho, I don't know that ... Thanks to Brian :)

I've just read, after your post, [openid.net].

We are in august 2007, it's not stable enought to be inclued in forum or in a mod ?

I see there is some finalized specifications : OpenID Authentication 1.1 and OpenID Simple Registration Extension 1.0. When brian work on that, these specs were already finalized ?

I know there is somes proposed drafts (OpenID Authentication 2.0), but phorum 5.2.x maybe can be compatible with openid 1.x for the moment ?

Some websites already offers openid registration, I don't think they don't change protocols all days ... and maybe are just using openid 1.x draft ... not the finalized ones ...

I'm not a skilled php programmer, if I was I'll help you on that point ...
August 10, 2007 03:57PM
it was just some months ago, right after the mysql-conf, therefore I guess these there finalized too.
still its a moving target and brian gave up in the end on it.
there is no ongoing work to include openid in 5.2 and we have no current plans to do so.
so if no one else steps up and does an integration module or something then it won't be in there.

Thomas Seifert
August 10, 2007 10:59PM
Thanks for your reply.

But I found some informations, I post these here because I hope they'll be usefull for you.

I'm using/testing SPIP (an open source CMS developped by many peoples, and an active french team - used by a number of "big" french compagnies, like national agency for employment and national electric agency...).

There is a plugin for OpenID and SPIP : [www.spip-contrib.net] (try babelfish to translate it ;) here is the plugin file : [files.spip.org] ).

I think (maybe I'm wrong) this script just redirect to the OpenID server, wich use [www.openidenabled.com] . If these libs are note installed on the openid server, spip plugin have these files and use this (and only) this lib (and Yadis, see php openid doc here : [www.openidenabled.com])

I think it's maybe a tips for brian, I don't want he gave up again if he want to work on that one day ;)

Regards,

Edit : Many project will use openid soon : [iwantmyopenid.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2007 07:59PM by Nothing.
August 12, 2007 02:45AM
It is vastly more complicated than redirecting. And, from my time on the mailing list, all that is true in 1.1 could be broken in 2.0. Its just not something I need or want and therefore don't want to constantly be keeping up with some moving target.

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
rfc
May 12, 2009 02:02AM
Hi,

has there been any change in this plan?

I've found [www.phorum.org] which dates to may 2007 which is before this thread, however then I found [www.phorum.org] which dates to April 2008 which is past this thread. However, if I'm not mistaken, Phorum currently does not support OpenID.

thanks,
- Markus
May 12, 2009 07:11AM
OpenID has been implemented in trunk which is going to be Phorum 5.3 in the future.

Thomas Seifert
rfc
May 12, 2009 04:43PM
Wow, that's great news! My experience so far with upgrading the software has been marvelous. Will still hold true for 5.2 -> 5.3? I'm asking because I'm watching the commits and, holy cow, there're a lot of changes coming in ...
May 12, 2009 04:50PM
its at least planned this way ;).

Thomas Seifert
May 12, 2009 08:25PM
Yeah, we swear that on the holy cow ;)

There's a lot of changing going on lately, but that is all part of the process of providing a structured API for Phorum and not part of a big core change. It's mainly shuffling existing functions into API-layer functions and cleaning up the code a bit while we are at it. We want to keep the database and templates as much the same as possible. Those are the component that are especially susceptible for upgrades. With the changes that we did up to now, I don't see any big 5.3 incompatibility issues. Maybe some modules that require minor updates, but that's it.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
March 26, 2010 04:55AM
Hi,

for all user interested in openid in phorum, please visit that page [demand.openid.net]

thanks
March 26, 2010 05:24AM
That's not about "in Phorum", that is about "on Phorum.org". OpenID "in Phorum" is available.

What's is the goal of that petition in your opinion?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
March 26, 2010 05:28AM
Maurice Makaay
OpenID "in Phorum" is available.

in 5.3 ;)

Thomas Seifert
March 26, 2010 06:04AM
Okay, rephrase: OpenID "in Phorum" is availble for the strong of heart and for those who are happy to live on the edge that bleeds ;-)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
March 26, 2010 02:58PM
So, does this mean that I can log into phorum5.3 with openID?

That would be great, cause I was just about to start modding the phorum scripts for it, but thought I should seach the support forums first to see if anyone else had made a mod.

Does it work with openID right out of the box?
March 26, 2010 03:12PM
Yeah, its built in there.
And no, we have no release date yet.

Thomas Seifert
April 04, 2010 04:22AM
What are the chances of a version with OpenID being released within the next 6 months?
April 05, 2010 05:17AM
That would require a stable phorum 5.3 within the next 6 months. I'd say that the chances are quite low for that.

Thomas Seifert
April 05, 2010 05:00PM
Does the openID script in the trunk work for 5.2 if you add it?

Or could it with a few modifications?

----------------------------------

Or...~has a second idea~

Alright, I am thinking of a workaround on this one.
There is a module to integrate Phorums with Drupla, correct?
There is a Drupal module that allows openID login, Correct?
..., sooo ~thinks and starts waving my hands around~
If I use the Drupal login with the openID module as our main login page, have it go straight to the Phorums index, and hide all of the Drupal stuff...bingo!!! Phorums with openID!

Think that might work?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 05:23PM by DonCdoddsy.
April 06, 2010 03:05AM
It might work, but that sounds like quite an overhead to get OpenID in Phorum if you are not actually using the rest of Drupal.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
April 06, 2010 09:49AM
We might use a bit of Drupal, but yeah...we really need openID, so as long as everything works...

I do not think overhead will be too much of a problem, we have plenty of currently bored engineers for that.

Do you think this will affect any other phorum mods we try to add?
March 25, 2011 02:07PM
Hi !
Is OpenId will be available in next version ?
March 25, 2011 02:42PM
OpenID will be available as a module for 5.3.
That is the next major version. There might be other minor version (5.2.x) before that.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
March 26, 2011 12:18AM
Any word yet on a release date? I've been anxious to be able to login with other options such as facebook/google/openid. I'm actually looking to migrate to a different discussion board altogether and abandon phorum completely so I can keep up with the times.
March 26, 2011 05:57AM
I do not have a release date for you. We are pretty far with the changes that we want in 5.3, but not all of them are done. Main reason being all of the devs being really busy with their regular jobs and such.

From May 1st, I will be working at a new company. For me, this will result in more spare time to work on Phorum. I am working on a new version of my site based on Phorum 5.3 and am anxious to get that out too.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login