Firefox PHP

New to Forums, Where do I begin?

Posted by bdorman 
New to Forums, Where do I begin?
September 28, 2008 12:17PM
Hi Guys,

I'm launching a product to raise funds for animal rescue and adoption. Of course, the product has a website. As part of the website I asked the developer to incorporate a BBS so dog owners, volunteers, rescue people, etc could ask questions and share ideas.

The developer has done a great job, but I want to take over development of the BBS. I figure I'm going to have to be the one responsible for it long-term (he's doing this on a volunteer basis) so I might as well get started.

I'm familiar with BBS forums as a user, but not as an administrator or developer (actually, I know nothing about web development....but like I said: he's got the Forum page up and running, now it just needs organization, etc).

Any suggestions of where to begin, good resources, etc would be much appreciated.

If you want to check out the site just go to Dog Tracks and click on "Chat with Dog People" to view the forum.

Many, many thanks,
Bob
Re: New to Forums, Where do I begin?
September 28, 2008 02:16PM
You have a 5.1 Phorum running with only one message in it. I would suggest a fresh 5.2 install instead of sticking with 5.1.

You will have to redo the template files. So to see, it's only some changes to header.tpl, footer.tpl and possibly settings.tpl and/or css.tpl. This requires a bit of web development knowledge, since you will have to work with HTML and CSS to make the pages look good and let them fit into your site. You say you known nothing about web development, so this might be a bit hard for you. Get some basic knowledge on HTML/CSS if you don't have that already and you should be fine.

Best thing to do is start with installing Phorum 5.2 (on a different system or at least in a different folder using a different database prefix than the one already installed) and see what you can learn from that. We cannot provide a full course on web administration and development. That's quite outside the Phorum support scope. But if you have specific questions about Phorum, feel free to ask.

One important source for you is the developer that volunteered so far. He can probably tell you a lot about your setup. For organization of the forums, you will have to go into the admin interface of Phorum, so I guess you need to ask him the username and password for that. Once you're in the admin section, you can create folders and forums to organize your forums. Keep it simple when starting. Too many categories in an empty forum is not the best way to get started. IMO it's best to keep the number of actual forums restricted. When specific topics start overwhelming a general forum, you can create extra forums for them.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login