Firefox PHP

strange redirection problem (embed phorum module??)

Posted by DonTino 
strange redirection problem (embed phorum module??)
July 07, 2008 05:28PM
Hi all,

I have a very strange redirection problem on my clients phorum.

Almost all users get a redirect error after a few moments when getting on our phorum. the error is something like 'redirection error: the called website redirects the request in a way that it can not be stopped'

This is a browser error not an error diplayed by the server.

the phorum is embeded with the embed phorum module into drupal. the implementation works great but since a few days we have this problem now and I don't know why.

All admin still can acces the community without any problems but public and registered users have this problem.

I really appreciate any help here since I have no Idea where to look for the mistake.

thanks a lot

Tino
Re: strange redirection problem (embed phorum module??)
July 07, 2008 05:42PM
Maybe the forum permissions were accidentally disabled for those users? I'm not sure what kind of redirect we're talking about and why it screws up, but if we do redirects, it's mainly for cases where the user tries to access a part of the forum that is not accessible.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
July 07, 2008 10:40PM
Maurice that is exactly what we were trying to do,

we have set up a new forum with no permissions at all and then gave a few users read and reply permissions to it, that's when the problem started.

How can I fix it?
July 07, 2008 10:47PM
I don't know, because I am not sure what is happening here for you. The permission thing was my best guess at why Phorum might redirect. It should not happen for users that have sufficient access rights for the forum. Is it still happening for those users too?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 08, 2008 12:23AM
yes happens to all users except for admins

Where can permissions be set? Which database tables and which admin area options. May be we set a option at the wrong place or something.

If I change the status of a regular user to admin he can access without any problems.

This goes for the whole community even the index ( Forum list) is not accessible to regular users.

Tino
July 08, 2008 09:04AM
The only options are in the forum's settings. Additional permissions can be set for the user and for groups. I guess you did all that.

I really don't know what's going on, especially if the index page is also doing redirects. Can you tell us your site so we can check what kind of redirects are taking place?

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 08, 2008 12:03PM
the site is www.hummer-zone.com
you can login with user: test2 Pass: test2

it's a drupal site if you click on 'community' you will get to the embedded phorum

thanks a lot

Tino
July 08, 2008 12:30PM
I can't see much, except that it is indeed redirecting index to index. That is not something that the core Phorum code does. Could you check if you accidentally put the Phorum into admin-only mode? Go to admin.php and check the pull down menu at the top-right of the screen.

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 08, 2008 10:59PM
oh man that was it, thanks Maurice for the great help I wouldn't have found it

thanks again, great support, I started think something in the DB was wrong etc...

Tino
July 08, 2008 11:38PM
Yeah, something in the db was wrong. The field for "admin only" was enabled ;-)

Still, the redirects are strange. I guess the embed module catches the admin_only mode and redirects to "/". It should really redirect to either an external page telling that the forum is closed or let Phorum handle it on its own. But for now, things are saved. Thank goodness, since I was running out of options quickly here =)

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
July 17, 2008 01:40PM
DonTino
the site is www.hummer-zone.com
you can login with user: test2 Pass: test2

it's a drupal site if you click on 'community' you will get to the embedded phorum

thanks a lot

Tino

Tino,

Can I ask you how you did the embed exactly with Drupal as I am looking into this as well. How does it run, what are your experiences?

Sergej

------------------------------------------
^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
July 17, 2008 01:50PM
Sergej,

the embed runs with the embed phorum module. It runs great for me. I had to adjust a few things but once it runs, it runs great.

There is a thread somewhere with the embed phorum module and some infos on drupal. I have been posting in there as well when I was having some problems. I don't know what forum and don't have a link to the thread, sorry.

Tino
July 17, 2008 01:54PM
Tino,

Thnx, I think it was this post: [www.phorum.org]
Are you running Drupal 6.x?
Would it be possible to create a download place for this at the main Drupal website. I think it would boost Phorum and Drupal.

Sergej

^AU^ Assassins United
[www.assassinsunited.com]
July 17, 2008 02:13PM
Yes that's the post,

no I'm running drupal 5

I think it is already available through the drupal site but I'm not sure.

Tino
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login