Firefox PHP

how can users be notified by email of new postings

Posted by webmaster 
how can users be notified by email of new postings
June 03, 2008 05:46PM
I have recently set up a forum for communication between members of our Society's executive committee as, for various reasons, they wanted not to use emails. Some members are happy to login regularly to check for new posts (or replies), but some would prefer to receive a notification by email that a new posting had been made. I can only see how to do this for moderators but not for ordinary members. Have I missed something obvious?

Andrew Nummelin
webmaster, Historical Model Railway Society
Re: how can users be notified by email of new postings
June 03, 2008 05:50PM
There is no built-in option for doing this. Maybe one of the following modules matches your needs:

Maurice Makaay
Phorum Development Team
my blog linkedin profile secret sauce
June 05, 2008 12:45PM
Maurice,
thanks for your helpful reply. Unfortunately neither module will meet our needs.

Regards,
Andrew Nummelin
June 06, 2008 08:40PM
Why do they not meet your needs?

Brian - Cowboy Ninja Coder - Personal Blog - Twitter
June 17, 2008 01:49PM
Apologies for the delay in replying - I've been away.

"Mailing List" notifies forum members of new topics. We need to be able to notify about contributions to old topics as well, without members having to decide to follow topics.

"Group Auto-Email" sends the contents of postings and our committee has decided that this is not wanted.

Regards,
Andrew Nummelin.
June 17, 2008 02:02PM
both causes are wrong:
"Mailing List" sends notifications about messages and that includes new topics and other replies
"Group Auto-Email" has configurable mail messages through the lang file so you can decide what is sent out

Thomas Seifert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login